Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys n gals , im thinking about taking on my friends bosc monitor lizard as he isnt able to care for it anymore and isnt interested in it... i just need some advice on the do's n donts 1st... ive read some threads on them and ive looked online about there needs and ive already downloaded the caresheets just incase i do buy it..

i think the viv its in is too small (3 or 4ft x2 x2) the bosc is 19" and im told its around 2years old which could be false information.. could its growth be stunted being in such a small viv.?

if i do take it i wana build a 6x4x3ft viv which should be ok or i could convert my spare bedroom into a massive enclosure for it...

do you recommend i get uva+b repti-glo bulb for the viv ,, i dnt actually think its got 1 in the viv at present which i think is a lil strange coz im led to believe that all lizards need these bulbs?

ive bred beardies , had austrailian water dragons and chinese water dragons in the past so im up to speed with the basics but as ive never had a bosc monitor lizard id like a lil advice from any1 thats actually owned one or presently got 1..

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
hi guys n gals , im thinking about taking on my friends bosc monitor lizard as he isnt able to care for it anymore and isnt interested in it... i just need some advice on the do's n donts 1st... ive read some threads on them and ive looked online about there needs and ive already downloaded the caresheets just incase i do buy it..

i think the viv its in is too small (3 or 4ft x2 x2) the bosc is 19" and im told its around 2years old which could be false information.. could its growth be stunted being in such a small viv.?

if i do take it i wana build a 6x4x3ft viv which should be ok or i could convert my spare bedroom into a massive enclosure for it...

do you recommend i get uva+b repti-glo bulb for the viv ,, i dnt actually think its got 1 in the viv at present which i think is a lil strange coz im led to believe that all lizards need these bulbs?

ive bred beardies , had austrailian water dragons and chinese water dragons in the past so im up to speed with the basics but as ive never had a bosc monitor lizard id like a lil advice from any1 thats actually owned one or presently got 1..

I don't keep boscs but as far as I'm aware their lighting needs are the same as beardies. High heat and lots of UV. If there is no UV in there at the moment then you need to think long and hard about taking on that animal, there could be a good chance of it having MBD.

Hell if you can convert a room, do so. They are big lizards and the more room you can give them the better. As to minimum size viv I can't help there sorry.

I'm sure the monitor guys will be along very shortly to help you out and recommend a good care sheet. There is also a monitor thread around on this forum that would have a heap of information in it for you.

edit

As to UV I think that most on here would probably recommend Arcadia 12% T5. They are THE best on the market and unlike other brands they last 12 month, any others need replacing every 6 month. Arcadia is also the only ones who do the T5 lighting. Much better light output and higher UV levels. As to price there is little difference between them and standard T8 lighting. I use T5 12% on all my beardies now.

Reactions: fifeandy30

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx nicnet ,, mbd im not too sure what that is.. bone deficiency ??

i will post a picture of the monitor in its viv , id actually say it doesnt look too happy but iv never seen it in real life so couldnt say for sure.. i know the friend isnt caring for it properly so if anything id take it just to give it a better and happier quality of life instead of being cooped up in a tiny viv n not being looked after..

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Hi,

Fantastic species to keep if you have the space and money to feed it, so many were getting bought over and sold very, very cheap. This means that there are always animals that need re-homing. Respect to you if you are wiling.

Here is my thoughts behind the care of the species http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/032_PRK_Apr12.pdf

Let me know if I can help further

John

Reactions: Infernalis
1 - 9 of 9 Posts