Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I will soon be moving my whites into a larger set up and will be introducing Dave the newest member to them (will have Dave and Mick my males, Dee, Beaky, Dozy and Titch my females) he will have been quarentined for a good length of time by the time I get the viv sorted.

My main question is......to plant live plants or not....and if so what sort would be best.

Also once their viv is free and cleaned 100% I will be collecting my 2 little RETF's so the same question stands for them

Cheers in advance: victory:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
live plants provide humidity and provide a more natural habitat.
with whites being quiet a large bulky species it may be better to stick with fake plants or large sturdy live ones.

with RETFs they will benefit from the humidity and coverage of live plants.

·
Registered
164 Posts
live plants look soooo much better and help to reduce the contamination in the substrate.
You can't go wrong with bromeliads, just keep the rose (hole in the middle, whatever its called) topped up....
or mosses
daryl

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
you also need a good U.V source with live plants

·
Registered
671 Posts
unless you use devils ivy in your set up, I have had those growing in two set ups here for around a year now, that only have 8 watt uv bulbs, and also in a semi aquatic tank that has no additional lighting but gets some indirect sunlight at times through the day.

HOME smile and act nice: Growing Pains: Devil's Ivy

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
brooms, mosses, my devils ivy and most other tropical plants will need some form of uv to grow. plants make the food via photosythasis. direct sunlight on a frog viv is not a good idea, it will dry out the air and raise the temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts