Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is random but was just wondering can snakes eat live mice???? a friend of mine feeds her boa live rats!!!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
YES! but not good. Can harm the snake!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
but some snakes only eat on LIVE so.. some have to.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah, this will get alot of negs i'm affraid.
i know its natural in the wild, but for some reason the uk rep keepers are well OTT on the subject, ... its not good if its not needed is the simple answer i guess

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
touchy subject, its generally agreed it shouldnt be done, there are problems with the humane side and of course the mouse could injure the snake, and its illegal if done for showing off or public display, the RSPCA can prosecute on grounds of cruelty unless you can prove your doing it for the good of the snake and it wont take frozen/thawed food(i think thats right,please correct me if i'm wrong).
Theres not really any reason to do it with frozen prey being so readily avaliable, although i've wondered myself if "hots" would need to fed live to get a proper reaction.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Just stick to Frozen rodents :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't see why this is necessary. The only time to consider live, is with difficult feeders. A lot of WC venomous will only take live for quite a while, so this is the only option to keep them alive. I'm guessing the Boa is CB, if so there is definatly no need to feed live mice. Not only is it seen as "wrong" but can also harm the snake.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I always feed f/t - its so much safer than if you're feeding a large rat it can turn around and bite the snake. I think the freezing process kills parasites too. It's what they'd eat in the wild but they're not in the wild and the 2 critters are in a comparatively small environment. I thought it was illegal in the UK to feed live anyway?

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
If it is, didn't know that, But anyway, i think you get the idea, NO LIVE RODENTS! and tell you friend to try F/T rodents. Tis better.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok like i say i was just wondering cuz i idnt think u cud feed live food

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
was confused cuz my mate gives hers both live and frozen ....sorry 4 double post

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
was confused cuz my mate feeds both live and frozen!!!

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
For the sake of the snake, your friend should really stick to frozen.

If you've ever been bitten by a rat, you'll understand! (Not to mention the vets bills if the bite needs stitches or gets infected)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
she said her snake got bitten by a mouse the other day

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
omg, is the snake alright, and i was under the impression that the wouldnt take both?? hmm, if its what she wants to do i think its her decision.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she said she does it to give the snake a bit of exercise,i think snake is ok but took a nasty nip to side of head

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
And that's why feeding live is not a good idea unless the snake will actually starve otherwise .... a "nasty nip to side of head" can easily turn into 'nasty nip that's destroyed the eye'.

·
Registered
846 Posts
she said she does it to give the snake a bit of exercise,i think snake is ok but took a nasty nip to side of head
I,m sorry but IMO you mate shouldnt have a snake , there are plenty of otherways the snake could get excersise and if its in the correct size viv it should have plenty of room to move about.

feeding live for that reason is totally wrong and against the uk law guidlines

one of these days the snake may not be as fortunate as to only receive a nip to the head..

sorry rant over goes back to her lil corner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts