Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feed live mice to one of my snakes, but the other 3 get ones that have been knocked out.

But I feed her live, only because í know she can handle it (she's a real killer :roll: )

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i have done on the odd reall bad feeder... but i dont actually have any live right now, so good job all mine are pretty good feeders.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Isn't it illegal to feed live rodents in the UK, unless it is a life or death situation for the snake?
Not sure of the exact details but that's what I've heard.

Also, I'd question the wisdom of talking about removing teeth from live mice on a public forum :shock:

(Edit: not trying to get on anyones case, just concerned about providing fuel for the antis.)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah it is illegal, the animal must be on its last legs basically.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i could care less if its legal to feed live mice, my reptiles come first. if you must feed live break the mice back legs wont be going nowhere too soon.

another thing dont look too much into youtube its full of morons, they also have a disgustiing video of a cornsnake being ate by a cali king. thats how sad people are on there

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
you dont need to harm the mouse.
if you just put the mouse in, you will know within 5 seconds if the snake is going to eat it..
if the snake turns away, you take the mouse out right away, simple.
just dont leave them, watch them for a few seconds and remove the mouse if neeeded.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hang on a minute - Jack13, you say that the Youtube video (if it's the one I saw it was a water snake, not a corn) is "disgusting" but you'd condone breaking the legs of a live mouse before feeding it alive to a snake?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah i dont see any need to do that really.

·
Registered
301 Posts
we use to feed our royal live because it just wouldn't eat any other way no matter how hard we tried.one day we put a gerbil in and it attacked the snake,and we had to pay £100 in vet bills for swabs and antibiotics.

but ever since then she just ,out of the blue started eatin defrosted food

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah gerbils are proper nasty..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i used to feed live rodents to all my snakes years back, after two of my snakes got bitten, one bite was just a nip but the other bite blinded a honduran milk in one eye which cost me a bundle in vet bills.

after that i just fed them dead.

ok the pull the teeth out remark is a bit strong, but if i had to feed live i WOULD superglue the mouth shut.
i wouldnt take the chance of another snake being blinded or damaged in any way by a rodent.

Paul.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.