Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the original thread has been closed and i cant post their.

I would like to Say SORRY to anyone that i may of upset by my stupid remarks about teeth and super glue...

If you did read my posts i did say that i was only jesting about those things.

i also said that i would only feed live pinkies and only if i had to, i also suggested that you shouldnt go down the road of feeding live adult mice to snakes because of the issue of mouse bites.

Again i am SORRY for any upset that my silly remarks has caused.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I didn't take offence mate I like to think I can take a joke! I would love to see the reaction of some people if they could see how the feeder mice are bred and "euthanased"!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Shame, I was busy at work and missed that discussion. I've just read all the posts there, and it turned my stomach. I'm an untired fighter for animal rights, and that's a cause I've been fighting for since a very young age.

In a way it was good I didn't take part because I'd have got very angry.

I agree 100% with what Andy said, and suddenly I admire him so much for standing up and telling everything that had to be said in a proper manner, because I don't know if I'd have held my nerves that much.

If I had my way that Jack13 could be kicked out of the forum and I'd not miss him a lot :?

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I dont agree that its bad environments I would say the majority of feeding live is to baby snakes that need to get going before switching to freshly killed the f/t. I think its an interesting topic if people can keep their emotions in check. Obviously if you are causing as little suffering to the mouse or whatever and have tried all other things then its either feed live or let your snake die. It depends how strongly you feel about taking one life to save another. But tbh if you are keeping reptiles then you shouldn't have a problem with that in the first place! :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
mcelheronreptiles said:
i feel that 99.9% of non feeders are caused by bad
environments and wrongly informed owners
dead food is the only way. nooooooo to live feeding
i agree with the first part,but somtimes you may have no choice,i would rather feed live than loose an expensive animal.
If you get a stubourn feeder feeding agian on live you can always move it back onto dead if pos

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok.... god i hope this topic doesnt degenerate and get locked again cause I think its a very good topic to run.

Firstly I DO want to point out though that this has got to be kept serious...no "jokes" about super gluing mouths, breaking legs or ripping teeth. That sort of thing can cause disruption to the board, possible complaints to the board owner and server, and possible animal cruelty charges being placed against the poster.

I, personally, feel that if a snake is faced with death and ALL other options have been tried then live food is the only thing left to try. BUT its an option that should never be taken lightly.

To feed a healthy snake live rodents just cause its cool is wrong by all accounts and is a disgrace to the hobby. And if i knew someone doing it just to get their kicks I would be the one that reported them. Its cruel beyond belief!

As to how to feed....as cornmorphs stated... place the mouse in. If the snake eats within a minute or 2 GREAT....try fresh kill next then frozen defrost. If not eaten straight away REMOVE it. You will stress BOTH animals out if you dont.

Again this is my opinion and the opinion of the LAW.

Andy

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I go along with Andyb5 all the way. And agree with the other Andys too.

Are all Andys nice people :roll: ?

The only thing is, it's hard to keep emotions in check when dumb people come here to incite animal cruelty, apart from that it's a healthy debate.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Dexter said:
Are all Andys nice people :roll: ?
I aren't nice really I am a tosser but hey who cares?! I think it boils down to if you have to feed live then try to do it responsibly. You really dont want to see the video's of the breeding facilities that I have seen on the net if you like mice etc with a passion it would make you think twice!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
NoNo thanks, can do without seeing it. I had enough of animal cruelty for my life span.

·
*****istrator
11,351 Posts
firstly well done genetic for straigtening things out and andys for their reply. Personally im sure i wouldn't like to know how the mice i buy are reared and killed.

Also people should realise that kids come on this site and although the vast majority are caring enough not to do it, there is always a small minority who will see that stuff and find it 'cool' and go and do it.

Lastly, as far as the R.S.P.C.A are concerned, it is a little known fact that major directors of their board are 'directors' and funders of a group called AnimalAid. These people campaign tirelessly to stop the keeping and breeding of nearly all pets in the uk, especially pet shops. They are so determined and commited that 2 years ago they launched a campaigne agaist focus to stop selling pets. They won- and then moved onto Wyevale garden centres who they are still chasing now.

It wont help the hobby if they work there way through every chain and eventually breeder in the country. And remarks like what was said will only help them.

Anyway, thats my rant over.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
witohut offending anyone my opinion is well if you feed mice why cant you break its legs or smack its head against a wall? i mean they are going to suffer when the snake gets them anyway(having the life squeezed out of them sure isnt a quick death) as long as it HELPS protect your snake im ok.

i will always feed dead prey though if i cant get the sanke to feed ill sell it to someone who might.

this arguement is mainly on opinions now people shouting at each other about whats right or wrong isnt gonna change anything. the only thing we know is that its illegal in this country, in other its not and most keepers have little problems.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I can see this thread will be locked before long again ...

SnakeBoy101, you can't break the mouse legs because that torture, that's animal cruelty. If you've read the previous posts you will see the reasons, unless you're too thick to realise the amount of suffering that it is to break a live animal. Perhaps you should try and break yours then you might change your opinion.

By the way, it's illegal to feed live mice, unless it's alast resort as the 3 Andys explained.

In the event that a keeper has no other alternative, the correct way of feeding live mice is how Cornmorph explained in the other thread.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
snakeboy101 said:
this arguement is mainly on opinions now people shouting at each other about whats right or wrong isnt gonna change anything.
That's valid when there are sensible people giving intelligent opinions, when it comes to muppets implying that animal cruelty of the worst kind is alright, then I reckon it's definitely no a matter of opinion.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
1st one was stopped as it was about to erupt, dont really wanna lock another one.

·
Registered
597 Posts
this will be my last post on this subject...

say you have a ball (very bad eaters at times) say its been nearly 5 months since its last meal, you have tried all the neat little tricks of braining and other stuff, and none of it works. ive had this happen and i put a mid sized rat in with him and he wasnt interested quick enough for him to eat it, so i had to take it out, i killed it, he wasnt interested then, so i try again, now i didnt break its legs but i hit it hard enough against the wall not to kill it but to slow it down (it couldnt walk after that but was still able to move) now i had to feed live about 15 times to this one ball, each time i would try f/t before having to resort to live.......but i am a reptile keeper and if it was nessary to protect my snake over a mouse then my snake wins hands down every time, do you know how they kill mice and freeze them? co2 and then freeze them...i dont see anyway of humanly killing a mouse...killing is killing

snakeboy101 im glad you see it my way kind of.....just my opinion like snakeboy said as long as it helps protect my snake im fine with it

i wont post on this subject no more, everyone is going to have contrasting opinions on the matter

·
Registered
324 Posts
I once read somewhere on the internet about people getting their mice to breathe in carbon dioxide in a gas chamber type object for a few mins, this makes them very lethargec as they are close to death, a humane way to kill mice some people DO employ. Anyway somepeople let the mouse come close to death and then give them to the snake. This prevents too much pain for the mouse as its body is shutting down anyway, its brain losing control every second it passes. and the snake gets its stimulus too... not a bad idea, but i wonder what you guys think. And strictly speaking, i'm suggesting this should ONLY be used for very stubborn feeders...

·
Registered
416 Posts
i think any type of animal cruelty is wrong. and i really cant believe jack and snakeboy are still talking about it being ok to break legs and smack mice against the wall.

in my opinion people like you shouldn't be allowed to keep animals, as you obviously dont give a shit about about them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.