Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to fill my tank with either Lizards or Amphibians but I am not sure what would be best suited or what will be more fun/less stressful.

I have a 100x40x40 (40x16x16) and I have absolutly no equipment and I know that I may have to fork out a few quid to get the tank fully kitted up to Lizard standards. I have a little experience with lizards, but not much. I would like something that is fairly tameable, but a bit of nipping at first isn't a problem (I expect it!). I would also like it to be fairly active inside its enclosure as I like to watch them mosey along and do their thing. If I could have a pair in a tank this size it would be a bonus!

Any suggestions and specific care sheets would be great!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are you bothered about being able to handle the lizard? The Stenodactylus species might be worth a look if you're just wanting to observe and not handle. Think some/most of these are happy to be housed in small groups.

Amphibian Care >> Dwarf Sand Gecko (Stenodactylus species) Care

Never kept them myself but they look like active, interesting little lizards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that! I had never heard of the Dwarf Sand Gecko. They look quite good actually. I think that for the moment it is a choice between the Leopard Gecko and tha Dwarf Sand Gecko. Any other suggestions would be great though :lol2:

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
is it a 'tank' i.e aquarium or is it a viv? i only say because lizards dont like it when you come in from above and pick them up like you would in an aquarium.

a few good things to think about when you want a lizard is theese....

Rainforest or Desert
Active in the day or at night
What kind of size
if they tolerate handling
insectivore or herbivore

there a few different things you can consider to help you find a lizard to suit you :2thumb:

·
Registered
934 Posts
perhaps a tokay gecko if you want observation but then again they would bite you and arent the most tameable. But i like them :p

Leo's, aint your thing, bearded dragons perhaps, crested geckos are beautiful, chinese water dragon though they get kinda big

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions and advice! I think i'm 99% sure we'll get a Rankin Dragon though :2thumb:

Any other suggestions are still appreciated, I wont be buying the Lizard until I have everything needed and a steady temp/humidity anyway.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions and advice! I think i'm 99% sure we'll get a Rankin Dragon though :2thumb:

Any other suggestions are still appreciated, I wont be buying the Lizard until I have everything needed and a steady temp/humidity anyway.
good man ;) thinking ahead

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh bugger! Now I'm torn between Rankin and Collared :lol2: Rankins seem tamer but Collared seem more active! Which one would you chose? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Even if I am sure of what I want! I thought that a Rankin Dragon was for me and I instantly fell in love with the Collared Lizard. And it runs arouns on 2 legs! Best quality in any reptile that I have ever heard of! :no1:

Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely getting closer to the perfect Lizard :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would suggest you think about taking on any animal without even researching or having a clue what you want?why do you want any of these creatures,cause you have a spare tank that isn't even suited to them?please think first.

Reactions: ChelsNLuke

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh bugger! Now I'm torn between Rankin and Collared :lol2: Rankins seem tamer but Collared seem more active! Which one would you chose? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Even if I am sure of what I want! I thought that a Rankin Dragon was for me and I instantly fell in love with the Collared Lizard. And it runs arouns on 2 legs! Best quality in any reptile that I have ever heard of! :no1:

Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely getting closer to the perfect Lizard :D
Haha yeah I was like this when I was deciding like the person says above me though have a look what each one requires this could be a massive factor when deciding, however I'm obviously biased towards rankins I have quite frankly fallen in love with mine

·
Registered
934 Posts
i read an article about first time pets or pets that are good to venture into from even the experienced reptile keepers and they mentioned lizards like:
- wonder gecko, gargoyle gecko
- red headed agama, agamas
- skinks of all sorts
- basilisks, frilled dragons

theres alot just do the research

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.