Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some describe it? when i open my beardies viv its quite a catch at the back of your throat kind of smell. at the moment there is nothing in his viv but him so it must be him, is there anything i can actually bath him with?
i bath him to rehydrate him but not to wash him, I was thinking a baby shampoo he really stinks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
What substrate is he on?
Definite no no to the baby shampoo though, there are far too many chemicals in it that could cause havoc with their skin/scales.
My beardie has a naturally sort of musky smell about him but nothing that you can smell too bad until he climbs on your face!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
None of my reptiles smell and never have, are you spot checking everyday? as they can walk in it and it will go on there under belly. NEVER use any shampoo or anything as you will make him ill, ie skin sore eyes sore.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment he's on no substrate no decor just very basic because i am moving him into a bigger viv.
spot cleaning of course, no left over food live or veg. just him and his rocks its not them its him, it is musky.
is there anything i can bath him in?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of my reptiles smell and never have, are you spot checking everyday? as they can walk in it and it will go on there under belly. NEVER use any shampoo or anything as you will make him ill, ie skin sore eyes sore.
I'v heard people recommend washing up liquid on snakes (get rid of mites) so i thought something more sensitive than that would be something for babies.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
There's usually some degree of smell however if its really overpowering it could be something more sinister at play, yeast infections for example tend to create more of a smell.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's usually some degree of smell however if its really overpowering it could be something more sinister at play, yeast infections for example tend to create more of a smell.
Like? he's not different in behaviour or health wise.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Tom has a point though, not saying your bear die is ill, or has a fungal infection, however these animals can hide illness very well often till it's too late, can you have a peek in his mouth, and a sniff?? :) otherwise I wouldn't know what to suggest?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't mean anything by it either was just hoping for symptoms that i could look into.
no smell coming from his mouth

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I don't think it'll solve your problem... There's either something wrong with your BD or there's a hygiene problem. Either way it's not your BD's fault...

But you could probably use a completely natural body wash. There's a lot out there, one I know to be good is A'kin Pure Uncented body wash.

Don't take my word for it I just figure a completely natural product (as long as there's nothing toxic to reptiles like pine) should be fairly safe in small quantities. Perhaps consult a vet and confirm with them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rogue665, I actually asked my vet today about this, he's a herp vet (I was there for a checkup on my Rankin). As In 20+ of keeping Beardies I've never had a smell coming from a BD or viv like you describe.

He said absolutely use NO soap. If anything, just warm water and a very very soft toothbrush and dont brush against the scales.

We both came to the conclusion that obviously a vet vist is best if the smell IS from your beardie. He can only suggest without seeing the said dragon.

But can I ask something please. What substrate you using?.
As things like reptile carpet and lino can absorb some smell from the poo.
The lino can expand (like pores) in the viv heat, and fluid does get through. I always have changed my lino yearly. Just habit really.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Don't use anything apart from warm water. If its that bad go to the vet and get him checked out, as you don't want to make him ill.

·
Premium Member
16,485 Posts
does it eat crickets mostly - we had a beardie that stank, we changed to dubia and the smell went

1 - 14 of 14 Posts