Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this carving of a lizard a few years ago from a small craft shop in Aultbea in the far north west of Scotland. The shop had a lot of items, which they told me had been hand carved by a local craftsman featuring all kinds of animals, but this lizard just caught my eye and so I bought him. He has sat on top of my viv since then, but as my new viv has a sloping top (to discourage cats!), he won't sit on there anymore and I've nowhere else where he will fit in.

He has been carved into a whole piece of wood. I've no idea what kind of wood it is, but I strongly believe it is mopani, as it is very lightweight and the base looks like mopani.

He measures overall 9½" and is quite beautiful. I'm having a big clearout and was going to put him on ebay, but thought I'd see if anyone here might be interested in him. I paid about £25 or £30 for him (can't remember which) and I would be glad to get £20, but I'm open to offers if anyone is interested. I will post him out free to anyone who wants to buy.

Christmas is coming - it's a good gift for a lizard enthusiast???:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hes gorgeous, looks quite bosc like in the face :flrt:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
it says that she would post it for free :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's actually called parasite wood and it grows on Chinaberry trees in Indonesia. The natives make a bob or two carving it and selling it to the tourists.I have various pieces of lizards,frogs and my favorite snakes but they do seahorses,dolphins,bunnies,e.t.c. Harry

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's actually called parasite wood and it grows on Chinaberry trees in Indonesia. The natives make a bob or two carving it and selling it to the tourists.I have various pieces of lizards,frogs and my favorite snakes but they do seahorses,dolphins,bunnies,e.t.c. Harry
By gum, you're right! So it would appear that I was misled when the guy in the craft shop told me it was by a local woodcarver!:cussing: Unless a local imported the wood and did the carving - haven't a clue now!

The craft shop had quite a few carvings, the one I havered between was a beautiful one of a horse's head, cos I really love horses, but it was about £40 and I couldn't afford it.

I've just done a search on ebay for "parasitic wood Indonesia carvings" and found a wholesaler website with loads of them on and they are exactly the same as mine, so I'm beginning to think it was an import. However, I've only found one site in Britain that sells them, apart from someone on ebay, who is only selling mushrooms at the minute.

I certainly don't want to mislead people if it was actually made in Indonesia by a local so I think we'd better assume that it was!

So any 'reasonable' offer will be considered!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
what wud u consider a reasonable offer lol even tho reptile jon is probably right in what kind of lizard it is, i think i looks bosc like so i love it lol

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what wud u consider a reasonable offer lol even tho reptile jon is probably right in what kind of lizard it is, i think i looks bosc like so i love it lol
I've sent you an e-mail to your e-mail address - not sure if it may have been put into your Spam folder, if you have one.

If you are still interested in buying this, please let me know, as if I don't hear from you by later tonight I'd like to list it on ebay, as they're having a 10p listing day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts