Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i live in the vale on the loch lomond shores.Dose anyone by any chance know of a good reptile vet near here e.g glasgow.Thanks in advanced :wink:

Also, i am currently keeping a 5 year old corn snake (shes only about 3 and a half feet?) in a tank measuring 12" x 12" x 24".Is this comfortable for the snake or should i look into buying a larger tank?

Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah dont know why that is he/she is perfect in every other way.Gets fed once a week but dosent real grow, just gt to 3ft 7 n stopped???
She is sooo cool though, i love her colours lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thats strange... i saw this corn witch was younger then mine and was twice as big. I was like eh? and i feed my corn quite a lot.. once every 5 days and laterly i been feeding her two every 5 days (pig) lol.

What colours has she got, what morph? :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hi Bobby

Haws it goan ma man !

I am about 40 mins from you m8 . I have a cpl o' corns , CB06 .

Got them from a place called Rintouls , in Bathgate .

The owner ( Derek ) is one of the main breeders up here . I am sure he would be able to pass on a good Rep Vet to you .

Here's there link

http://www.rdrintoulpetcarecentre.co.uk

Take care

·
Registered
439 Posts
heres the two best vets nearest you....

Michael Orsi BVMS MRCVS\
Kenilworth Court
North Carbrain Road
Cumbernauld
TEL. 01236727876.

Exotic Species Department Small Animal Clinic
Anna Meredith
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, Edinburgh University Summerhall, Edinburgh

Tel: (0131) 6506061 Fax: (0131) 6506577 e-Mail: [email protected]

when needed derek uses michael orsi, but having said that i've heard good reports about the ability and knowledge of both vets that i've listed

regards
bob

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks realy good to know.
Dont know why shes so small

·
Registered
324 Posts
was that the pic of your snake? if so man she is under weight!! you can see her back bone!! What are you feeding her? and as for size of viv, too small! she should be in a 4 foot viv! not a 2 foot one! and only 3 1/2 at 5 years, should be nearer to the 5 foot mark!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Andy - do you mean the amel(?) on the link on the first post? Doesn't look that bad to me - not fat but not underweight.

The tank is a bit on the small side though. You could do with a viv with a floor area of 36"x18" minimum, maybe 48"x18" would do her good if she's really active and would use the space.
If she's a bit shy I go for the 36" as you don't want to overdo it.

On the subject of size - my sisters corn is 5 years old and only about 3ft long. He's the picture of health and eats medium mice and rat fuzzies but still looks like a big yearling. (I say "he" - unsure what sex it is)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
noticed it was in a small tank but didnt see that pick!! what are you feeding her at the moment coz their either not big anuff or not feeding her anuff

·
Registered
324 Posts
mark67123 said:
Andy - do you mean the amel(?) on the link on the first post? Doesn't look that bad to me - not fat but not underweight.

The tank is a bit on the small side though. You could do with a viv with a floor area of 36"x18" minimum, maybe 48"x18" would do her good if she's really active and would use the space.
If she's a bit shy I go for the 36" as you don't want to overdo it.

On the subject of size - my sisters corn is 5 years old and only about 3ft long. He's the picture of health and eats medium mice and rat fuzzies but still looks like a big yearling. (I say "he" - unsure what sex it is)
mate, yes i mean the amel. look closely at the spine of the snake, you shouldn't be able to see the back bone...! look at it again.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The ridge that's visible seems to be to one side of the body - looks more like muscle than spine to me. If it was spine showing the body would slope away to the sides along most of it's length.

I can see what you mean but I reckon it's just a combination of the way the snake is sitting and the fact that the tail confuses the image in the highlighted area.
Also, compare the size of the head in proprtion to the body thickness.

If you look at the part of the body where the snake is resting its head, and the loop of body just below it's neck, it looks fine. Admittedly, it's on the slim side but nothing that I'd be concerned about.

Have a look at this one:
http://swreptile.com/sunglow.html

(Parts of this one appear to show the body to be triangular in shape with a prominent spine, but you couldn't say it was underweight.)

Bobby - got any more pics?

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats some more pics i can get more recent ones though prb tomorow though.Thanks for all the intrest in the thread.I will buy a bigger tank for her though.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
rite what we is being sed about the spine etc that snake looks fine to mee i have a cross between a rat and a gopher snake and he eats really well he takes 3 XL mice a feed and thats every 10 days and you can see a prominent figure like shown in the picture when he is in the same kind of position

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its cool. it could have been worse, you could have thougth she looked ill and not said a thing.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
fiiiiiine looking amel there dude :) deffo not too skinny and don't worry about it only being 3'7", not all corns grow to massive sizes!
i agree with the others, a bigger viv would be better, as would feeding only once a week. Regular handling would soon calm it down - as a general rule you are less likely to get tagged while handling it than you are while picking it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts