Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.

so i ordered from livefoodsdirect.co.uk to get 100 large 3-4cm locust and also decided to get a pack of 3 of these

they measure 190MM LENGTH x 125MM WIDE, x 80MM DEPTH and im going to whack 35 locust in two and 30 in one.

im going to cut out holes to add in one of these per tub

they are going to be given some cardboard egg cartons to climb about on and fed on stuff that is going to be benificial to my chameleon.

do ya think the survival rate will be high and would the littl buggers need anything else?

they'll be store in a doorless cupboard under the viv

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I used to keep mine in a large faunarium but have since moved onto a 2ft fish tank with lighting etc. Although no breeding as of yet there survival rate has increased significantly

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sounds like similar set up to mine. I have about 30 small ones (think same size as you mentioned) living in a plastic small/medium(not sure which) faunarium, I just pop some stuff called "bug grub" in which they seem to like eating and something like carrots/potato/lettuce for moisture. They have egg cartons to hide under to. Though the faunarium has fully ventilated lid so I haven't needed to put vents into it. I mean I'm no expert on locusts, far from it but your set up, apart from a few differences seems similar to mine and mine have been living happily so far, so I guess yours should be ok, can't think of anything else off hand that they would need. Not sure about if they need any heating though, I kind of assumed they would be fine at room temp and none of them have died yet, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we keep the heating on so the temps rarely drop below 21C so my cham has night time heat. so if the locust did need heating im sure the room temp would be fine as its warmer during the daytime like 24/25C

i was going to get faunariums but i find the cost of exo's faunariums disgusting. and these where like 3 pack for £5 something. plus the 3 vents for another £3 lets face it. getting 3 faunariums for £8 aint gunna happen lol.

bug grub huh? look into that one. i know livefoodsdirect sell that flakey stuff grub food i think its called in different sizes and decent prices too.

my cham just finished off the last of his crix (a substitute until locust arrive) so looking forward to getting him back on locust lol.

·
Registered
947 Posts
we keep the heating on so the temps rarely drop below 21C so my cham has night time heat. so if the locust did need heating im sure the room temp would be fine as its warmer during the daytime like 24/25C

i was going to get faunariums but i find the cost of exo's faunariums disgusting. and these where like 3 pack for £5 something. plus the 3 vents for another £3 lets face it. getting 3 faunariums for £8 aint gunna happen lol.

bug grub huh? look into that one. i know livefoodsdirect sell that flakey stuff grub food i think its called in different sizes and decent prices too.

my cham just finished off the last of his crix (a substitute until locust arrive) so looking forward to getting him back on locust lol.

I didn't get an actual exo brand faunarium, hence why I didn't know the proper size lol. I got a plastic "fish tank" from wilkinsons, was only £5(think a similar size exo was at least a tenner or something silly) and will probably comfortably fit a shed load more locusts than I have in there atm. And looks pretty much the same as a faunarium lol. I do have some boxes like yours but I like the faunarium cos it means I can open the tiny door at the top and I don't have to get to close to them...which I know sounds stupid but I have a little bit of a phobia of bugs after spending half a year living in a roach infested student house(the landlord refused to get rid of them!). Just having them in the room makes my skin crawl a bit but hoping I will get more used to them over time!

I got the bug grub off ebay, its kind of just a powder stuff with apparently everything they need in it for gut loading etc. can't remember exactly what is in it off hand. Was a bit sceptical with it but they seem to be eating it fine and are growing well so I guess it must be doing something! Might have a look into that flakey bug stuff you mentioned and see if its better than the stuff I have atm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Get some curly kale from you local supermarket and feed the locust that. I tried it with a tub of small of locusts. 10 days later most of them were still alive and grown to a med/large size. Will only buy small locusts now and grow them up to the size I need then feed them to the reps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
omg yuou ahve done well. i bought one very similar looking container from b anmd q at the weekend to keep a large qty of small crickets and the one cost me a tenner. it lokkms very similart as well.

well i find even the £5 wilko ones are over priced and i like these tubs because they are hinged lids.

plus a hot knife should melt through easily to cut the whole for the vents to be added in which i brought off ebay. once i actually have them i will post an image of it with the vents in and locust in there on this thread so subscribe and keep an eye out. should be wednesday when they arrive.

in the meant time here is a link to the tubs.

pack of 3 is £5.29 and they have a free delivery as well as rmsp and TNT courier (although the last 2 cost)

Reptile Boxes-Live Foods Direct UK

they do other sizes and packs of 6 tubs too.

vents are easily found on ebay and if you draw a circled on the tubs that is the diamitre of the vent you can then buy a £1 craft knife heat the bade and melt through the plastic to get the hole cut out (unless you have a dremmel as i think a jigsaw is overkill lmfao) then pop in the vent and WHALLAH! locust housing! lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
As a note, if you plan on breeding them they lay in sand... dry play sand is good for this.... also, ventilation really is key, they love a warm very dry living space & get loads of branches / twigs from your garden... stops canibalism if they are not on top of each other

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good info for breeding thanks! might add a vent in the top of the lid and on the back and have pipes that connect to them with a fan sucking air through to help ventilation if i choose to breed lol.

i dont have a garden so need to find a bush from somewhere. not many near here

·
Registered
947 Posts
good info for breeding thanks! might add a vent in the top of the lid and on the back and have pipes that connect to them with a fan sucking air through to help ventilation if i choose to breed lol.

i dont have a garden so need to find a bush from somewhere. not many near here
If you have a park or something near you thats prob the best bet, hehe though make sure the groundskeeper people at the park aren't working when u collect ur twigs and things, I went collecting some branches a while back to clean up and put in my degu cage, had to spend 15 minutes explaining that I wasn't in fact going to go off and start a fire in the park and they were actually for my animals :lol2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts