Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just wanted to ask if you can feed leopard geckos locusts as their main food instead of crickets? because my geckos havent eat for about 2 weeks (well i havent seen them eat) and tonight i put in a couple of locusts and they eat them straight away, is it possible that they could of got bored with the crickets?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
mine have done exactly what youve said not eaten for over a week,wont touch crix,put 4 locusts in the other day and they actually had a fight over them. they both had one(one of them either end) in their mouths and tore it in half

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Leo ain't eaten for about 2/3 weeks now, I just tried a wax worm and he didn't even touch that! I might try locusts like you guys, but surely he should eat a waxie?!?! Oh well i'll try again tomoro...

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh my leos dont like crickets neither.ate them fine at first then refused for no reason.i buy hoppers to feed them on but they aint cheap.will cost you more in the long run but they seem to enjoy them.also try butter worms...again expensive but very good for them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Locusts are very good for reptiles, but are also very expensive, eg 20 locusts for the price of 200 crix! Ouch! But if you only have like one or two gex you can do it easily.

And also, some gex just do not like waxies. I have one who will not eat them.. even as a baby she never really did unless she was very hungry, now she ignores them but eats crix and locusts. Doesn't like mealies either.

·
Registered
509 Posts
if ther so expensive you could always breed the locusts. its easier to breed them than to buy them all the time, worth it if your gecko wont eat anything else.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
yeh my leos dont like crickets neither.ate them fine at first then refused for no reason.i buy hoppers to feed them on but they aint cheap.will cost you more in the long run but they seem to enjoy them.also try butter worms...again expensive but very good for them.
where do you get your butterworms from? i really want some,i buy small hoppers and grow them myself but like mentioned im only feeding 1 leo so it only works out at a couple of quid a fortnight but i can see how much that would work out for a few of them,mine wont eat mealies at all and sometimes dont fancy hoppers or crixs,im thinking of trying some lobster roaches off rickeezee but i really want butter worms

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies was geeting worried thought my geckos were the only ones that didnt like crickets, mealworms, or wax worms, I know that locusts are more expensive but if thats all they are going to eat (trust me to have ones with more expensive taste :smile: ) If anyone can tell me how to breed locusts that would be great.
Thanks again

·
Registered
336 Posts
for one leo eating them, locust are fairly cheap to buy and will last a little while depending on the size

2.35 a tub delivered aint that much, but obviously it depends on how much your scaly eats

·
Registered
126 Posts
if your like us and have 6 eating machines that munch locust, you may be better off buying in bulk, we buy 100 fairly often. it's not our leos preference, but they dont make as much noise as crix, and dont smell either! if you want expensive... try silkworms, like gold dust to get hold of but they go crazy for em! you can get butterworms from livefoods.co.uk they are supplied by butterworms.co.uk they only sell in bulk(butterworms.co.uk) but sometimes have surplus so sell them off cheap!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I fed my leo nothing but locusts for 13 years
He hasn't eaten since the begining of january and is refusing everything I put in :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
i dunno. Its getting more and more concerning now, his eyes are looking really sunken and the female is in the same situation. she's eating sporadically but her poo's are really runny. I think i might hospitalize both of them so the vet can check her poo out for any problems. Thinking about getting him x-rayed too incase he's ingested a piece of bark or something? oh well :(
sorry for high jacking the thread

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
given your problems i dont think anyone would mind you borrowing abit of this thread,maybe it is time for the vet to do some tests,i know ive said this to you b4 but if you looked after him for that long its certainly not you doing something wrong,hes an old man too so perhaps hes naturally slowing things down for himself,like old ppl do,they eat less but i think id be worried now,i really hope it comes good let me know how they get on at the vets if you take them

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hyjak away :smile: hope you get them sorted out

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i dunno. Its getting more and more concerning now, his eyes are looking really sunken and the female is in the same situation. she's eating sporadically but her poo's are really runny. I think i might hospitalize both of them so the vet can check her poo out for any problems. Thinking about getting him x-rayed too incase he's ingested a piece of bark or something? oh well :(
sorry for high jacking the thread
sounds to me like a bacterial infection...happened with one of my girls..she had really runny poos and wouldn't eat properly..just kept loosing weight..was really worried. got her on some baytril toot sweet and now she is back to herself..but was touch and go for a while...
they can get them from the water bowls or off contaminated food and often you don't realise until it's too late..really would suggest the baytril. it won't hurt anyways..(you can only get it from the vet though)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I think they should see vet as quickly as possible to get sorted - it's best not to delay that sort of thing as they can go downhill rapidly (happened to a beardie of mine).

As for locusts - both my rankins dragons and sav dislike crickets but enjoy locusts. My sav gets the adult winged locusts - they cost me a fortune but it's great to watch him chase them round his viv :)

As for butterworms ... are they lower in fat than waxworms? which I know are not recommended as more than treats.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I fed my leo nothing but locusts for 13 years
He hasn't eaten since the begining of january and is refusing everything I put in :(
Again same problem with me, hes been happy with crix until past month and hasn't been eating them, and now I tried waxies and hes not having them. Locusts are my last hope but if they fail then vets straight away. Whats going on with the Leopard gecko's of britain right now? Everyones having problems..

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
butter worms would be nice if you could get them grrrrr,just suggested waxies as a kick start,maybe both of you could try rickeezee roaches,but mr t belial is right with the vets,once you know the underlying cause you can concentrate on the food side of it.....good luck again
think the butterworms are lower in fat, but a real good live food if only i could get my hands on some pleassssssseeeeeee anyone

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
badgers mum wrote:
where do you get your butterworms from? i really want some,i buy small hoppers and grow them myself but like mentioned im only feeding 1 leo so it only works out at a couple of quid a fortnight but i can see how much that would work out for a few of them,mine wont eat mealies at all and sometimes dont fancy hoppers or crixs,im thinking of trying some lobster roaches off rickeezee but i really want butter worms
i havnt actually bought any for my leos but you can get them from this place http://www.butterworms.co.uk/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts