Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locusts: They're gross, they bite and they eat each other's faces off.

I had about 6 left in two boxes of medium sized hoppers and they're next to my PC. I look over and one of them is shedding his skin. Nice, he's growing - more food for Frilly Billy, I thought. I look over again 10 minutes later and his friend has eaten the top half of his head off and sucked out his brains while his legs were stuck in his old skin. As usual with these things, he's still alive with half his head missing, which is just gross and disturbing, so I chuck him in with Pookie the terrapin to quickly finish him off. :?

I look in the other box and one of the locust is chewing off his friends antenna and trying the same thing. What is it with these guys?! Leave the brains alone!! It's not like I don't feed them! Lettuce or friends brians? Hmm... tough call.

As punishment, they've all been given the death penalty and I've thrown them in with Frilly Billy. That'll teach 'em. :razz:

I hate locusts. They're weird and remind me of the aliens from the Aliens movies. And mealworms are just my worst nightmare.

What about you guys? How do you get on with your lizard's creepy crawly food?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I've never seen locusts eating each other as they are primarily veterinarian I thought?

Now black crix... they are cannibals!

·
Registered
234 Posts
veterinarian?!

is that a cross between vegetarian and a vet?

quite a combo:crazy:

·
Registered
766 Posts
ive just ordered some lobster roaches for my lizards even though they give me the creeps i think im gonna just keep them in the garrage or my sisters room :lol2:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
:lol2: Yes, that's what I always understood too. Actually locusts are my favorite - I don't mind handling them and the adults with wings are cool - I chuck them in the monitor's viv and they fly around his head :-D Worms I'm OK with and even roaches - but crickets - hate 'em - fortunately all my lizards prefer the worms or locusts.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never seen locusts eating each other as they are primarily veterinarian I thought?
Yeah, I did too. Turns out they'll eat anything. Including my house plants when they escape. :evil:

Now black crix... they are cannibals!
Cannot stand looking at these things. They remind me of black beetles, which haunt me during the summer months. Where ever I am, they seek me out and jump on me. :cry:

Anyways, the punishment has now been dealt. Frilly Billy is now fat and content. :lol:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I'm not using crix any more. they're ugly, they smell, and they eat each other!, I've gone onto lobster roaches, they're much better, locusts are o.k, my BD loves them, meal worms and morio worms are weird, she loves them too.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
i much prefer the locusts to crickets. im too much of a scary to go for roaches, and the locusts are so pretty and much slower and easier to cahtch when they get loose! ive got some brown crickets at the mo that i swear are the MOST difficult to feed to anything as they all go nits when you open the tub and hide under the unit!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've gone onto lobster roaches, they're much better.
ive just ordered 100 how quick does the colony grow and what are they like?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
problem with roaches is they breed very quickly and I'm likely to lose some which mean infestation time! I don't mind black crix.. they bite a bit but they are far more chunky than brown and they don't smell as much! I'll pick anything up but roaches give me the hiby jeebies!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Would you be able to feed the roaches to a beardie that is 6 months?? Coz im scared of the crix:oops:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah just make sure they are small enough for him! Roaches are considered by some to be better than crickets nutritionally anyway.....

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
ive just ordered 100 how quick does the colony grow and what are they like?
sorry dont know, i only got 30-40 to see if my BD would eat them, she does, i'm not using them as feeders yet, you can pm rickezee, he breeds and sells them, he seems quite knowledgable in the area.

·
Registered
849 Posts
does anyone know if the small roaches would be any good for leos?
Yeh they should be.. they are very nutritional, and the fast speed of the roaches makes lizards want to chase them, if they manage to hide in the enclosure they also won't bite your herp.

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The brown crickets i have eat each other (and they have a good variety of greens to munch on) but today was weird cause i saw 2 of them mating, got to admit cant stand them dont like any sort of bugs, dont like mealworms either make my skin crawl. Just glad i dont have to eat them :)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
i usually give my leos brown crix but shop ran out so they have black atm...theyre vile! mealies stink to high heavens...never tried locusts.well tried hoppers when mine were younger but dont like the way they cud stick to walls and was worried bout getting them out of tub....friend said put em in freezer so being new to it i listened 20mins later all i had was a box full of dead hoppers!!!! are locusts hard to get out tubs and how do you all deal with them?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts