Reptile Forums banner

What Do I Choose?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Lola my 6 year old female Chinese water dragon :welcome:

LOLA


Unfortunately on Friday 17th of June 2016 while feeding Lola she had an accident where as she jumped out her vivarium onto the sideboard and hit a glass but landed on the floor before the glass did which then landed on her.

I noticed immediately she was not using her arm and was worried instantly I figured she might have sprained or hurt it and will maybe will heal itself but after seeing her try climb 1 log I was gutted she struggled so much and I got upset and had no choice but to go to the vet.

Lola's Right Arm Before The Vet


We got Lola to the exotic vets within the hour for consultation fee of £55
after having a discussion and having her checked over I had a few options I could euthanize and put her down for £36 or I could try and help her

my first option was for pain relief so without a question £17 next was to send her for a x-ray costing £115 each and he wanted to take 2 I just cried ... he told me he will try take 1 and see ... mum being mum said yes get it done

X-ray 2 Broken Bones Right Forearm 1 Broken Left Rib

When i looked at the x-ray with the vet he told me er bones looked healthy and strong no signs of MBD but as the vet took me back in to the room to my shock Lola was like this ..... :2thumb:



The Vet splinted her arm £15 and told me to come back in a week. I got home set up a smaller tank for Lola to be alone stress free from Rango and so she cannot climb or fall to her her self,

Day 1 After Vets

:2thumb:

She has been fine eating not the fruit but the bugs she is loving the same as always, she’s still running round in the little tank wanting out and climbs onto me like she’s normal bless her and I have been giving her medication every 2 days and couldn’t ask for more I was so happy and relieved But Friday come and he checked it, :censor::censor::censor::censor:
Gutted I am and upset once again he tells us it’s not healing and it still feels out of place when he took the bandage of so he replaced it with new and gave me these options

1. Amputate Leg £400 + / Bandages £36 a week not sure how long
2. Surgery Pinning it together £450 + Bandages £36 a week for 10 Weeks Also
3. Euthanize £36 Last Resort :censor:

She’s seems very happy and herself still eating well and very colourful too even the vet said it’s a shame
I decided to bring Lola home and rebooked for a week.

She has always been in a tank with
Rango (Male)

There Baby's

2 Clutches of eggs All Hatched Total 33 Baby's

Rango & Lola



I will also take a new picture tomorrow of the new tank i built for them.

I feel so upset they are apart and that they may never be back together again it breaks my heart I hope people will help us with advice as we love her so much and financially cannot afford this at the present time and do not want to put her down i am contemplating the amputation because i see these as the risks

Amputation i see the risks being
Infection
Sedation
Capability
Although i would adapt the tank in anyways possible instead of logs i could use planks so a flat wide space for her i see this my best option but the vet says i should spend the little bit more and try rods but i see it being more problematic in the future obviously sedation is a risk but

Infection
Not Fusing
Bone Problems Might Occur
Possible Weakness Or Painful
Might Not Work At All

Please do let me know what you think thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
"This is Lola my 6 year old female Chinese water dragon"

is that right 6 years old, seems small for that age.

It' s a sad situation but if it was me i would try and do everything possible, so would opt for the leg pinning if the vet believes it wont correct itself with splits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
"This is Lola my 6 year old female Chinese water dragon"

is that right 6 years old, seems small for that age.

It' s a sad situation but if it was me i would try and do everything possible, so would opt for the leg pinning if the vet believes it wont correct itself with splits.
Im guessing its been kept in with the male most of its life, which probably means the male is likely to be larger and dominant?

I agree, pinning is probably the best solution is it wont set with splints/bandaging. Amputation seems extreme and putting it down is going overboard.

The animal has every chance of recovering very well if the leg can be set, the only real issue is the expense.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,579 Posts
I feel for you it is difficult. I agree with the pinning procedure to give her a good chance. Maybe the vet can do a payment plan for you? Any decent vet would rather do this that put to sleep if the animal has a chance of recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this - where are you based? There as lots of good reptile vets out there and £55 seems a lot to me for initial consultation alone! It may be that there's another vet who you can take her to..

I completely agree with Debbie - any decent vet will do whatever he/she can to give Lola the chance of a full recovery and a decent life and amputation/euthanasia at this stage seem to me at least to be extreme options!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
I agree, most vets that I know will do a paymant plan or will let you spread the payments and send you a monthly statement.

I would try the pinning if it still isnt healing, once the bone is set inplace it should heal up ok i think. It would seem unfair to amputate without first trying to fix the leg as it will affect her forever afterwards.
If she seems happy and otherwise healthy I wouldnt put her down.

All the best, let us know how you get on :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Thank you everyone for you advice and help im booked in to speak everything over once again with the vet on friday and soonest they can do anything is monday after speaking to reptile rescue centre's i feel the amputation is gonna be a less riskier option and alot let stress on her going back for bandages every week after for 10 weeks too and thats a 70% chance the pinning will work
i still have no idea what route im chosing sad to say money is a issue but i will not put her down she still happy eating well and moving great so i feel its gonna be amputation with no bandages so only 2 visit with the op and then check up with pinning it will be 11 visits minimum thats alot more stress also im still not sure but thanks again will update again in a few days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please even if not a donation would you please share on facebook or twitter anywhere you can just sharing is as good as donating please do help
gofundme.com/lolacwd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
Have you asked the vet about your payment options ? Its true that the stress of going back and forth may not be good for her , especially if she doesnt do change well. However if fixed properly she could have a pretty normal life. It is your choice at the end of the day and Im sure you will do what you think is best for her :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you asked the vet about your payment options ? Its true that the stress of going back and forth may not be good for her , especially if she doesnt do change well. However if fixed properly she could have a pretty normal life. It is your choice at the end of the day and Im sure you will do what you think is best for her

Hi they don't have a credit licence so payment plan is no option I have tried hard to get what I can and I have a option to possibly do either treatments I just really belive it will be more problems or so much stress after visiting the vet for weeks on end whereas the amputation is 2 visit after if all goes well not 10 minimum so I'm still not sure I'm worried everytime I see her leg I will wish I tried pins but I will let all know just before I go ahead I have appointment Friday with the vet and he is hoping to do it on Monday which ever I choose
Thanks again please do share the link
https://www.gofundme.com/lolacwd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
I strongly urge you to have the leg pinned.

The animal is going to be fine with the additional visits if you properly look after her, keep her completely separate from the male throughout and do things like cover her viv with a sheet to reduce stress and let her rest.

Amputation is not the way to go, will have a negative impact on her remaining life and an over-reaction to the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I'm with Azastral - it's not exactly the same but we had a similar thing with one of our dogs a number of years ago, the leg being amputated was an option (which my wife and I were vehemently against because he's so active and we knew what it would do), long story short he had to have a toe amputated in the end, but his quality of life was back to normal incredibly quickly.

Animals bounce back very very quickly and going to the vet wlll just become almost routine for her - our vet was always very strongly against the more severe treatment, he always steers us towards the treatment that will ensure best quality of life/best outcome for the animal.


Again - what area do you live in? There are lots of very good reptile vets around and it may be that someone can recommend somewhere else that can offer you a payment plan depending on where you are so Lola doesn't need to have her leg amputated.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,579 Posts
Not having a credit licence is rubbish, its not needed. It does nit have to be so formal. I have ended up owing my vets on occasion and have no problems. Mind you I have been going there for donkeys years but still it should be possible for you too. Sounds like they just want the money and that's it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Not having a credit licence is rubbish, its not needed. It does nit have to be so formal. I have ended up owing my vets on occasion and have no problems. Mind you I have been going there for donkeys years but still it should be possible for you too. Sounds like they just want the money and that's it.
I completely agree;most vets are in it for the good of the animal - that's why I personally would strongly suggest a second opinon elsewhere!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
I agree, a credit licemse has nothing to do with it. I had a near £700 cat vets bill a few years ago and the vets didnt even want payment before it was all dealt with I kept offering and they would say "dont worry about that right now, youre registered here anyway we'll deal with the bill later" After that I would pay as much as I could and they were fine with that. but on the receipt it always said " balance outstanding £___"

Fortunatlye it onlly took a couple of months to clear. A good vet will be more worried about helping you et the best treatment than getting paid instantly.
I kow its nicer to get these the vet visits over asap but if ther pin is an option I would go for it. Dont let the inconvenience and extra dressing costs sway you. She will be much happier with full mobility after its all over. goodluck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankfully guys I have nwarly raised enough funds for any option I have the vets in half hour to have bandage changed and book in the operation that kfully friends and family have come together and I have nearly enough to choose the pinning if all is well today so I'll let you know later today what's happening thank you very much for your time and comments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Thankfully guys I have nwarly raised enough funds for any option I have the vets in half hour to have bandage changed and book in the operation that kfully friends and family have come together and I have nearly enough to choose the pinning if all is well today so I'll let you know later today what's happening thank you very much for your time and comments
Awesome news ! :2thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am taking lola to the vets today at 4:45 so she is ready in the morning for surgery they have said it's a 60 percent chance they can pin her leg so I have told them to try but it might be a amputation which I'm gutted with but I would adapt anything for her when someone here said to cover and let her rest would you have her uv bulb off or on how many hours a day she just resting under a log at the moment so I'm tempted to turn it off for a few hours a day and leave the ceramic heat bulb for warmth any ideas guys thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lola been in now for second day I'm waiting on a call back but a call this morning the surgeon told me it seems blood has been lost to her toes and to save future operations for her sake he wants to amputate I just got so upset and I just waiting now for the call to see how she is after ?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top