Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
ornate box twins

Unfortunately, it is not always so funny:

these two shared an umbilical, yolk sac and some internal organs. Only one lived of course.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I don't see it as cute personaly,I feel sorry for the life the tortoise will have.Not very nice for the animal in my opinion.I feel sad and sorry for it.

boxman I am very surprised that the one turtle survived,does it have any deformaties or difficulties?

·
Registered
826 Posts
You know that is one of my biggest fears when it comes to incubating eggs. Having to deal with a sick tortosie or twins. As you said and from what I ahave read, often the outcoome for both is very bleak! Glad to hear one of your survived boxman

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
survival

as you can imagine, I was forced to tie off the shared umbilical. This resulted in the immediate death of the smaller twin (presumed shared heart?).
I then cut away the umbilical on the smaller twins side and treated with antiseptic. The bigger twin survived this, although, two years later, it is clear that it's growth has been affected- it is smaller than it's two other siblings, and it suffered some calcium deficiency, resulting in some minor but disfiguring deformities.
This is only the second time I have had this happen, in over 25 years of breeding, but even so, very upsetting.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:devil: to The Sun for describing it as 'turtle trouble' - stupid!!! I do feel for the tortoise to be honest, I wonder what organs are shared?

Horrible situation to have been in Boxman, must be hard having to do what you did hun. Do feel for you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
thanks for that :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
as you can imagine, I was forced to tie off the shared umbilical. This resulted in the immediate death of the smaller twin (presumed shared heart?).
I then cut away the umbilical on the smaller twins side and treated with antiseptic. The bigger twin survived this, although, two years later, it is clear that it's growth has been affected- it is smaller than it's two other siblings, and it suffered some calcium deficiency, resulting in some minor but disfiguring deformities.
This is only the second time I have had this happen, in over 25 years of breeding, but even so, very upsetting.
Dreadfully sad for you but you did the right thing seperating them. If the other one doesn't survive, well you did your best.

The Sulcata baby, that is grotesque, poor thing. What a life if they are left to survive as they grow so big. I am sure in the wild, they probably would not survive. It's best not to try breeding from any kind of mutation like that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I dont find this cute in the slightest.
I feel sorry for the little guy.
I came across an american website that actually makes money in selling turtles with horrific deformaties, and tbh it actaully makes me feel quite sick.

Two headed yellow bellied slider, two headed red ears.
Two faced red ear slider
Shell-less red ear slider
True siamese red ear sliders which were born firmly connected at the bellys.
No - eyed red ear slider on another american website.

They wouldnt be able to survive out in the wild like this, so why put them through an uncomfortable life that will be full of problems, surely its nicer to jus humanely euthanize them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts