Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , can anyone please help , I have 2 CWD , But i don`t know if the bigger 1 is bullying the little one , they are both the same age , they still sleep one on top of each other but they do take it in turns who`s on top , but the smallest one isn`t growing as quick as the biggest one .
Can anyone sex them or are they still young , they are roughly 10 months old.

thanks
Joanne & Rob.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
really difficult to tell when they're young but some indicators are the crest size on the back of the neck - you pics could suggest top is male and one in pool is female.

a better guide is to look under the vent area, males will have a line of dark spots called "femoral pores".

both can be a bit misleading when young as they will develop more clearly with age.

keep a close watch on them to see if the larger is chasing the smaller round the cage, especially at feeding times. both should be getting a suitable amount of food per day.

when housing 2 dragons together its important to have plenty of space, multiple climbing and basking areas so they dont have to fight or share the best spots.

can you give set up info? viv sive, temps etc

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Based on the pictures, the top one is developing more quickly and is already starting to look male, although this can't be confirmed until they reach a certain age and the pores are developed.

If he is in fact a male 10 months is already old enough for him to become sexually aggressive, although he's not mature he'll still try so it's more than applicable that the 'assumed' female is being pressured far too young.

The female is looking underfed, this could be due to stress however although her belly is full the rest of the body isn't and I'm seeing very little fat / muscle tone in the hip / leg areas.

I'd suggest complete seperation.

Also sleeping on top of each other can often be linked as a sign of attempted dominance.

Although I can't see the rest of the enclosure, your water supply is inadequate. It should not be that shallow and they should be able to fully submerge and swim freely in as much space as you can give them, not a shall tray that's made even shallower by rocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ,
the temp is ( hot side - 90 f - cold side 85f.
the Humidity 75 - 80 %

here`s a photo of their viv

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The viv itself looks fine, although you should really have a visible basking area for them.

Enlarge the water area as much as you can. possibly add even more for them to climb (full branches etc)

Based on the females picture though I would still seperate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the pictures, the top one is developing more quickly and is already starting to look male, although this can't be confirmed until they reach a certain age and the pores are developed.

If he is in fact a male 10 months is already old enough for him to become sexually aggressive, although he's not mature he'll still try so it's more than applicable that the 'assumed' female is being pressured far too young.

The female is looking underfed, this could be due to stress however although her belly is full the rest of the body isn't and I'm seeing very little fat / muscle tone in the hip / leg areas.

I'd suggest complete seperation.

Also sleeping on top of each other can often be linked as a sign of attempted dominance.

Although I can't see the rest of the enclosure, your water supply is inadequate. It should not be that shallow and they should be able to fully submerge and swim freely in as much space as you can give them, not a shall tray that's made even shallower by rocks.
Hi ,
We have only just moved the CWD into their new home but we had major problems , with it as you can see with the photos , we had to split it in half cause we had a major leek with their fish pond at the bottom of the viv , hopefully this will be done in the next couple of weeks ,
I will take out the stones but as they haven`t been in anything big before I didn`t `want anything happening to them.
Thank you for your help.
I am still waiting for more wood to finish off the top part.
If theres anything else I need please let me and I will sort it :)
I rescued these last month , as the person who we bought them off , had a desert iguana in with them ( bloody fool )

thanks Joanne

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hi ,
We have only just moved the CWD into their new home but we had major problems , with it as you can see with the photos , we had to split it in half cause we had a major leek with their fish pond at the bottom of the viv , hopefully this will be done in the next couple of weeks ,
I will take out the stones but as they haven`t been in anything big before I didn`t `want anything happening to them.
Thank you for your help.
I am still waiting for more wood to finish off the top part.
If theres anything else I need please let me and I will sort it :)
I rescued these last month , as the person who we bought them off , had a desert iguana in with them ( bloody fool )

thanks Joanne

image]image[/URL]
You're doing brilliantly so far, as with the water setup, don't worry in the slightest. These guys are amazing swimmers so the more you can give them the better. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ensure they have something to rest on in it but it's not necessary : victory:

All I would say then is that once you have the bottom working again is the split them up until they're older (maybe keep them like that for good) if you do that you should see the female fill out and look far better :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ,
Thank you
I will do that , I`m gonna split them up now as we have another spare viv.
will upset hubby cause he wants to get another reptile but tough ( might make him work faster lol )

take care
joanne

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hi ,
Thank you
I will do that , I`m gonna split them up now as we have another spare viv.
will upset hubby cause he wants to get another reptile but tough ( might make him work faster lol )

take care
joanne
haha : victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts