Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a snake for my birthday next month, I would like something fairly colourful / patterned. So far I have considered corns and milk snakes. Price is unfortunately a barrier, up to around £60 for a hatchling. I have no worries about a larger snake, though not retic size!! I would prefer something which gets to around 6ft rather than 3ft. I really like the head shape of royals (which is what we have just started with) as opposed to the shape of milk snake's heads. I love the striped corns, and the bright colours of amel... Temperament wise, I would like something fairly easy to handle. I love the idea of arboreal species. Apart from that, I'm not fussy at all lol! :lol2:

I don't expect to check all the boxes, but hope that gives lots of ideas to those with more experience and knowledge of species and morphs.. I know a corn snake ticks all the boxes here, but wondering if there is a different species which also ticks the boxes which I've not yet come across?

Thanks for any ideas :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I absolutely adore corn snakes :2thumb: You get some lovely morphs out there.. and if getting from a breeder you get at a great price compared to in stores. You can have a lookie at Ians Vivarium and their morph giude :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutely adore corn snakes :2thumb: You get some lovely morphs out there.. and if getting from a breeder you get at a great price compared to in stores. You can have a lookie at Ians Vivarium and their morph giude :)
I need to find a breeder close enough to me (North West Wales lol) I've spent a couple hours this morning looking at that site, I came across it searching for corn morphs and yep, it's pretty extensive! I think I'll end up with a couple corns, but wanted to make sure that's deff the way to go before I get them! Not like if you get bored of it you can swap it for another species or morph, I don't believe in swapping pets for an 'upgrade' should be willing to take care of it for life. (BF on the other hand is always available for an upgrade lol!!)

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you want a beautiful looking snake, try a brazillian rainbow boa, they are a stunning colour and when the light catches them right they look like oil on water. They like a climb as well so semi arboreal, sort of. It is the last thing on my snake wish list.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of the carpet python, though I've not seen many colour morphs I've read that they can be quite active and inquisitive which I really like :) There is a yellow / black morph which is gorgeous!

I'd love a Brazilian rainbow boa but the ones I've seen are out of my price range... for now!!! I agree the colours are beautiful, though I've only seen pictures not the flesh yet!

I can't wait till I can afford my first expensive snake so budget won't be an obstacle, though I bet I'll still be looking at corns and being amazed by the varieties available! Uni this year, then in 4 years I'll celebrate my new wonderful job with a fantastic snake... (I hope!!!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the Okeetee corn snake but not seen any for sale yet... Does anyone have any available near Wales or know of anyone selling them? Would ideally like this years, must be CB :)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
The yellow/black coloured carpet python you mentioned would be a jungle carpet python, or JCP for short. They make excellent display snakes as they are semi arboreal, and are also usually okay to handle.

I would also recommend a Brazilian rainbow boa as someone else mentioned, although these might be slightly over your budget, with hatchlings from private breeders starting at around £80. : victory:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have to recommend a Blizzard/Creamsicle/Reverse Okeetee/Hypo Bloodred/Butter/Lavender/Snow Motley corn... :lol2: theyre such beautiful morphs.

I would have also recommended royals lol but since you've already got one...!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The yellow/black coloured carpet python you mentioned would be a jungle carpet python, or JCP for short. They make excellent display snakes as they are semi arboreal, and are also usually okay to handle.
Been looking at Precision Reptiles, WOW!!! Several black and yellow morphs, all stunning! Also some very nice pythons, as I have a royal, may get a python so we can breed in a few years if we want to... So many options!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to recommend a Blizzard/Creamsicle/Reverse Okeetee/Hypo Bloodred/Butter/Lavender/Snow Motley corn... :lol2: theyre such beautiful morphs.

I would have also recommended royals lol but since you've already got one...!
:lol2: So you'd recommend a corn then..?! I agree, all those are beautiful morphs, the Okeetee caught my eye today looking at pics on a site. Stunning!!

There are several royal morphs I would love... and will probably own one day lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.