Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's more of an idea than anything as I am sceptical as to whether it's even worth posting this.

I'm slightly skeptical about whether I'll even get feedback!.... Also don't know what thread to put this on!?!?! Anyway I'm a 14year old who loves animals and I'm looking for work. I have a Bearded Dragon lizard, have had Guinea pigs, hamsters and rats. I live in Hampshire, Farnham and would be willing to look after pets in any situation. If I was given a job I would spend a lot of time researching and would take any information provided by the owner. I'm not scared and am willing to feed all reptiles (unless live rodents) I am used and will be fine cleaning up excrement (using disinfectant etc.) I WOULD NOT be able to take care of them at my own home. Although I understand if people will be reluctant to trust a 14year old, I assure you I am trustworthy (if not then I can always discuss it through message) I am free to do it on weekends, as well as holidays. Obviously I would need notice if people are interested.

Feel free to provide constructive criticism or input :)

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
You may need to look into the whole legal side - I'm sure you can't work until 15+ (but don't quote me on that!)

Employers are always looking for people with experience, see if you're able to volunteer at local shops, shelters and rescues first. This will make people look at your CV more seriously. I would also research care for other commonly kept animals (leopard geckos, crested geckos, rabbits, mice etc) as broad knowledge is always good. You'll need a good CV, that's where teachers come in useful ;)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It's a great idea in theory. However even people with qualifications to work with animals can't find jobs after leaving college/uni so im not sure how you'd get on finding people willing to take you on. At the stage you're at I'd say volunteering is the way to go. Don't let it stop you trying though, if you can find someone willing to take you then fair play to you :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Might be best if you can try and volunteer in a shop for a couple hours on a saturday? I'm not sure you'd be paid until 15 though. That's the age I started working on a Saturday :)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Hey!
I used to do this when I was your age, BUT, we would care for the animals at our house and my mum was there to help me.
When I turned 16, I looked into getting work in a Reptile shop but MOST want you have experience in a shop and the correct qualifications. It's taken me 6 years to get that experience and qualification, and I'm still looking for work in this area.
I do still do holiday care, but very rarely will people allow you go to thier house.
You also need to be insured.
You also need to have the knowledge and experience with a range of reptiles up front as people question you over the phone.
Your best bet is volunteering and then once you are legally old enough, ask for a part time job :)
A lot of places that take on young volunteers also hire them at a later date :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think what he's meaning is looking after peoples pets at their homes while they work or go on holidays kind of like dog walkers its a great idea for starting your own business when your older as a lot of people don't have family that like reps and don't want to send their pets to rep shops that do reptile boarding for risk of mites and the likes, good luck to you and keep it in mind for a business when old enough

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
There is a fully legal way to do this and get a small wage also.

Youth trainee program.

We used to take on a 13 year old at our shop who was working through a training program with his school. His main duties would be cleaning fish tanks and helping to feed etc, but to be honest he was knowledgable enough that we let him deal with customers also. He was our resident little researcher and was always the one who would find the oddball fish mixed in with a batch we brought in.

Do not be phased about your age, if you are confidenet and do not come accross as a flightly little teen then there are shops that would be happy for the extra help to clean out etc.

Talk to your school and see if they have a YT program running, also try the job centre and local business centres. These guys actually pay the employee to train you so they are more likely to take you one. Take your paperwork with you and go to shops and talk to them.

What you do not want however is a shop that will take you on only to clean up and not teach you while you are there. You are not slave labour and do not put up with that. Do however keep your cool and never under any circumstances 'lose it' or give someone a mouthful. That way you are also likely to get a employee record or letter of recommendation from the shop when you leave.

These do tend to be short term though. 6 month or so.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
maybe consider working at a local rehoming center? im not sure what there is around our area to be honest but theres probably some animal rescue centres near by. i know some of them take young volunteers as i used to do it years ago. looks great a couple of years down the line as you come into contact with loads of different types of animals.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The thing I like most on this is how formal you have wrote this out.
It's nice to see people using correct spelling.
When I was 14 'i usd 2 right lyk dis' Oh god can't beilive I just done that, anyway I hope you find work.
Just a quick tip, it's better to start reaserching now as some people will ask what you know before they go any further than considering you, always better to be over prepared than under prepared.

·
Can't Read, Can't Write But Can Drive A Tractor.
1,376 Posts
Heya Jordz, Like others have said try volunteering first, If you like all animals and not just reps what about RSPCA Millbrook (as long as you can have a lift) they are ALWAYS looking for dog walkers and I think they start accepting people at 14. Also perhaps try at a vets, if you dont mind cleaning, disinfecting etc and are planning for a career working with animals this could be a fantastic oportunity. What about Birdworld, I'm sure when I was at school and we were around 14/15 one of my friends volunteered there.

Usually you can volunteer for things from around 14 (not generally younger because of insurance) but you wont get paid until 16. I used to work at the Swan Sactury when I was 14 and LOVED every minute!

If you're hoping to look after people's pets, this also sounds great because it shows you are genuinely passionate about animals and they can trust you to take good care of them. Looks good on the CV too in a few years when you want a paid job.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
im 15 myself and i have had a similar idea about looking after peoples reptiles but never got round to doing it :p I am doing my D of E this year and for the volunteering i'm hoping to volunteer in a vets, so that should help me towards the future as i'm looking to work with animals. So i would suggest doing some volunteering

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Good luck with this.You may find it hard to get anyone willing to let you look after there reps.Its a tough old world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts