Reptile Forums banner

Looking to buy a new lizard for me and my little boy

639 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  elishacoombes9 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have been around lizards and reptiles all my life I recently had a green iguana that past away almost two years ago he had a very strong life at 18 years.

I want to introduce my son into the world of reptiles and build a new setup using a Exo Terra Natural Glass Terrarium Large Extra, Tall 90x45x90

The lizard I wanting to pick would need to be able to stay in this size for all its life, I had a big iguana and the challenge to keep him for 18 years isn't something I want to do at this moment in time because of my living space.

Ideal I would want to do a jungle type of theme setup fake bottom etc with a water feature live plants etc custom designed with my son.

What lizard do you think would be best fitted for my son first reptile? Do note I wont let him hold the lizard just yet it will really be my lizard ;)

Any recommendations well come.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I recommend a Crested Gecko! My girl is now 5 and been handling since she was 2. Easy lizards, lovely too! We breed and they’re very easy if you that’s something you may consider in the future. You can keep females together also or a pair, just keep an eye on the male harassing. All our males have separate vivs as can be a bit much for the girlies!
But definitely think they’re Amazing. I may be biased but can honestly say put of all the reptiles/amphibians I own I will never not have a Crestie now, they also do great and thrive in bioactive vivariums x

#5 ·
Hi again

In the UK where is the best place to buy live plants? My aim here is to build the setup fully and keep it running for around 2 months before I add the lizard.

Looking around the internet I really dont seem to find an answer to buying live plants.

Do most of you grow your own? Go to the shops etc?

Thanks again

#7 ·
Hi again

In the UK where is the best place to buy live plants? My aim here is to build the setup fully and keep it running for around 2 months before I add the lizard.

Looking around the internet I really dont seem to find an answer to buying live plants.

Do most of you grow your own? Go to the shops etc?

Thanks again
I buy all of my plants for my setups at bioactiveherps. Co. UK and sometimes reptilecentre. Com.

Great guide can be found here:
https://bioactiveherps.co.uk/setting-up-a-bioactive-enclosure/

Admittedly I've got a little collection of plants in my reptile room which I propogate and grow my own but I still purchase from the above sites on a regular basis.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: shankly1985
#6 ·
Am now thinking about a Leopard Gecko instead and going more desert theme.

90 x 45 x 60 cm / 36” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH) This size will be what I would be using. Reading up about the care for this lizard tells me this size will be enough for a full size adult.

#8 ·
If thinking of a Leo I’d recommend a fat tail. They’re very similar, but more chill and handlable in my opinion, I’ve had Leo’s in the past and one was very bitey with us and another would warn you away so wouldn’t let my daughter hold any but 1 out of the trio that was ok, but with the fat tails my girl can get them out herself with no worries. My other half has friends who keep and breed them and no problems there! I may have just had some feisty buggers! If you make sure you handle enough with any reptile you should be fine though x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.