Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A while ago, I posted a question on a snake I had which went missing last June (2017), and I am sad to say he still hasn't turned up. I set bottle traps for him with pinkies in, I checked in likely places like the bathroom cupboard and in dark places like under the bed and cupboards. My dad even lifted the floorboards at the top of the stairs (where all the pipes are), but he wasn't anywhere. I assumed he must have got out of the house if he wasn't going for any traps set.
But the question I am asking is honestly, how likely is it that he is still around and just hidden somewhere? He was only a baby when he went missing (2-3 months old), he would be nearly a year old now (his birthday is circa early March). Both of my parents have said they don't think I'll see him again, but I have read many stories of missing snakes on the internet where they've turned up months later. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I had a little snow corn about the same age that escaped in the August and I didn’t find him till the April but a few doors up,he had a couple of marks on him that had healed and had grown quite a bit, but he must of been feeding himself, so don’t give up hope and good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a little snow corn about the same age that escaped on the August and I didn’t find him till the April but a few doors up,he had a couple of marks on him that had healed and had grown quite a bit, but he must of been feeding himself, so don’t give up hope and good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply :) . I haven't given up hope, I still keep my eyes peeled for him. He was very tiny, but then, as I said, he was only a baby. I hope he is finding food wherever he is, and will reappear.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
I know of a hatchling Albino Boa that escaped and reappeared as an undersized but healthy four foot Boa - 5 years later in the warm bathroom towel cupboard - found by the NEW owners of the house .. presumably it had been disturbed by the the house removals !?'

Luckily for them they lived just 100 yards away from the Reptile Store that sold the first family the Boa 5 years previous .

It was Vipers & Vines , Prestwich .. True story !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
An old herper once told me ,Snakes are the Houdini's of the animal world , added to the escapology , they are kings of hide and seek.

Don't give up hope mate, the climate being what it is currently there is a chance the snake is 'hibernating' somewhere right now.
With any luck you may find him , on the move once the temps get higher and he becomes more active.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi,

A while ago, I posted a question on a snake I had which went missing last June (2017), and I am sad to say he still hasn't turned up. I set bottle traps for him with pinkies in, I checked in likely places like the bathroom cupboard and in dark places like under the bed and cupboards. My dad even lifted the floorboards at the top of the stairs (where all the pipes are), but he wasn't anywhere. I assumed he must have got out of the house if he wasn't going for any traps set.
But the question I am asking is honestly, how likely is it that he is still around and just hidden somewhere? He was only a baby when he went missing (2-3 months old), he would be nearly a year old now (his birthday is circa early March). Both of my parents have said they don't think I'll see him again, but I have read many stories of missing snakes on the internet where they've turned up months later. Has anyone else had this happen?
If it's a corn snake and he's found a source of food and water and shelter he's most likely still around....I had a friend that had a corn snake in his house for two years before one day he came down and there it was ok his kitchen counter basking in the sunlight coming through the window..was a bit skinny but part from that I'm relative good health so don't give up just yet

Just try setting up a heat lamp some where quiet and just check it everyonce in a while you never know

·
Registered
370 Posts
When you here stories like these it's actually testimony to how hardy reptiles are..a local shop near me also lost a curly tailed lizard for months and months and again that eventually showed up under a demo Arcadia mvb one morning haha

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An old herper once told me ,Snakes are the Houdini's of the animal world , added to the escapology , they are kings of hide and seek.

Don't give up hope mate, the climate being what it is currently there is a chance the snake is 'hibernating' somewhere right now.
With any luck you may find him , on the move once the temps get higher and he becomes more active.
I really hope so! It's him being a baby that makes me wonder, he really was tiny when I first got him, he was still on pinkies. I can't think where he would find food in the house, which is why I said I hope he's got outside.

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
I really hope so! It's him being a baby that makes me wonder, he really was tiny when I first got him, he was still on pinkies. I can't think where he would find food in the house, which is why I said I hope he's got outside.
I know nothing about snakes, but surely with the temperatures as they are at present (about 2c today out of the sun and -4 predicted tonight south of London) it is better that he is indoors underneath the floorboards or similar? I imagine there's a fair few 'creepy crawlies' lurking and some warm central heating pipes.

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
I've been sorting out the garden shed today and I've seen traces of mice everywhere and even a drowned adult mouse in a tub under the hose pipe ..

I'm sure there are families of mice near or under the floorboard or in attics of most houses ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know nothing about snakes, but surely with the temperatures as they are at present (about 2c today out of the sun and -4 predicted tonight south of London) it is better that he is indoors underneath the floorboards or similar? I imagine there's a fair few 'creepy crawlies' lurking and some warm central heating pipes.
I only said outside due to me presuming that being where the food is. Would a snake eat "creepy crawling" (spiders)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been sorting out the garden shed today and I've seen traces of mice everywhere and even a drowned adult mouse in a tub under the hose pipe ..

I'm sure there are families of mice near or under the floorboard or in attics of most houses ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I hope this is the case then, that he is still in n the house and eating mice, and that's why he never went for any traps I set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts