Reptile Forums banner

lost snake

1K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  liam357 
#1 ·
one of my mates has recently purchased a grey rat snake, he bought a small viv with a heat mat and all the bits.he was absolutely delighted with his snake !!!but exactly a week after he bought it he got home from work and the snake was gone!! seen the tank n the only way it could of escaped is between the sliding glass doors!!its been missin for 4 days now n still no sign!!told him to look everywere were theres any heat, but he still hasnt found it!!can anyone help???the snake had fed two days b4 it escaped so will it still be alive!!!???thnxs!!

#3 ·
to start with get a lock.they are cheap and do they trick..
right, was the room the snake in open or any windows for that matter??
any domestic animals??

best place to look in my experiance is( if its definatly in the one room) the dark and warm places...under chairs/radiators/draws/in clothes piles etc..leave no stone unturned as they say.

hope this helps...also you could leave a food item out and hope it dissapears meaning its int hat one room..

#4 ·
will probably still be alive, put food out for it, I've seen people say put a pinky in a bottle, lay the bottle down and the snake should go in to eat, you can try putting carrier bags on the floor and turning off the light and listening for a rustle when the snake goes over the bag,that one needs alot of patients. Another way is to put flour in the door ways and if the snake goes over the flour it will leave trails.
Only other thing I can think of is to look EVERYWHERE even places that you would never think is possible, snakes can squeeze into tiny places that you wouldnt think is possible, hope you find it soon, are there any holes in the floor boards, even tiny ones, if there is you might have to get the hammer out.

#7 ·
they actually dont usually go far, look for the closest warm places 1st

#9 ·
My corn snake did a runner once...I found him in my underwear box :shock: :lol: That was about 2 metres from his vivarium, so yeah look in every imaginable place where they could go.

The bottle with the pinkie is a good idea, you need a hole that is just large enough for the snake to squeeze through before eating so that with a full belly, he can't get back out of the bottle.

#10 ·
Nice warm dark confined spaces ... a snake's dream.

Could have slithered into a closet, I know of some people who have found their snakes coiled up in trainers even. Apparently they don't actually go that far from where they escape - they just want to get into what they presume to be a safe confined area.

#11 ·
Don't give up,i lost me first corn and she turned up 3 weeks later in the next room.Also i rescued my oldest corn after she went missing as a baby only to be found 9 months later,she now 8.Just keep checking eveywhere even places you have already searched.Good luck!

#13 ·
Well Ive lost my male mexican king.. about a week ago now.. but we dont have carpets yet so there are holes everywhere in the floors. Ive checked every where I can and used flour in the door ways and plastic bags and pinkies in bottles and done everything i possibly can. Unfortunately the carpets are being laid next week and if hes gone down one of the holes theres no chance hes coming back.

#14 ·
looks like your going to have to get busy with the hammer and a crow bar,
you never know, you might pull up the fist one and there he is,good luck.

#15 ·
Cant pull them up... hardboard over the floorboards and fitted cupboards over them... not my choice having ruddy fitted cupboards :evil:

#16 ·
hi,
Same as nny, our male mexi black got out and he went missin for 4days, :cry: then he appeared out of kno where.. :p Just remember you might not think they can fit somewhere.. oh yes they can..
Plus it took 6-7 hours to put my house back in place :evil: after we searched high n low..

#17 ·
Problem is weve checked every crack in our room... and nothing.. and the rest of the house is full of boxes.. and its hell trying to look through them all.. been over a week now... so maybe he'll appear again.. his viv is still set up for him though incase he does come back... got another male on order though just incase.

#19 ·
Tried all the above... for the last week.... :lol:

#22 ·
thanx

thanx for all the replies ill tell him 2 try em all!!!!hes left a pinkie out 4 the last few nights but no luck yet but im sure he'll keep tryin!!!thanks again!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.