Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. Has anyone used or owned a lucky reptile delux digital thermometer? From what i am reading it says it has two external probes which would be good for measuring both warm and cool ends of the viv but on the packaging you only ever see one probe. Is the second "probe" built into the display or are thre two probes so that you can still have the display outside the viv whilst measuring both warm and cool ends of the viv.

M

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cheers mate was looking at buying the exo terra digital thermometer but then saw that one from lucky reptile, you have any opinions on which is better? obviously the lucky rep one has the two probes so would edge towards that but then the exp terra is cheaper. How essential is it to have thermometers permanently at both ends. (Using mat with stat before anyone jumps me :lol: so thermometers are there to keep a check on the mat and to keep my mind at ease)

M

·
Registered
609 Posts
I haven't used the exo terra, so can't comment. I probably won't use these lucky reptile thermometers again though, as they don't record max/min temperatures.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Just a quick question. Has anyone used or owned a lucky reptile delux digital thermometer? From what i am reading it says it has two external probes which would be good for measuring both warm and cool ends of the viv but on the packaging you only ever see one probe. Is the second "probe" built into the display or are thre two probes so that you can still have the display outside the viv whilst measuring both warm and cool ends of the viv.

M
I have one of these in my BRB viv. They have 1 "external" probe which is at the end of a wire; the other probe is actually in the unit itself. If you look at the bottom of the unit with the display on it, there is a series of about 3 slots - this is the sensor at the unit. I think (can't be bothered to go and look LOL) that it actually says "sensor" on it....

So in answer to your question, yes you can measure both cool and hot temps BUT you do have to have the display inside the viv. I find it best to have the unit in the cool end, and the sensor on the wire at the "hot" end.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks stan and big thanks to medusa. Thought this would be the case, was really hoping for two probes on two wires so i could leave te display outside. How do you find leaving the display inside the viv in terms of being able to read the temps and what about cleaning etc. Actually how do you clean the probe and the display if both are inside the viv? Guess having both inside is less hassle when it comes to drilling and sealing holes etc for wires.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
probably won't use these lucky reptile thermometers again though, as they don't record max/min temperatures.
Mine does. Personally I think they're mega expensive for what they are. I won't be using them again purely cos I can get an accurate digital from Maplin for cheaper. I've found the battery casing comes open very easily on them.

I wasn't too impressed that my cat chewed the probe off when I left it out of a viv either grr....bloody cats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

My lucky reptile thermometer has got two separate probes on wires which I use to get the temps from the hot and cold side of the viv. Im sure its the Lucky Reptile Deluxe, but cant remember to be honest. As previously stated it doesn't record max and min temps, but would definitely buy another tomorrow if the need arose.

Cheers,

Jonny.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

M
I use one, not that impressed to be honest, i cant seem to change it to farenheit either! Take a look at thermometers4u on ebay, i have some good thermoms from them!!
All matching items for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts