Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a lump on Zeus's tail a week or so ago but didnt worry to much just kept a close eye on it recently its seemed to get a little larger, Im just wandering if anyone might no what this could be? It doesnt seem to cause him any discomfort (although i could be wrong) and hes eating fine and is his usual self. Iv got a vet appointment in a few days but i just wanted to ask if anyone might no what this before i head off to the vets. One other thing if the temps drop slightly in his viv could this affect him deficating? Thanks in advance.

The lump is slightly harder to see in pictures than it is to the naked eye but i couldnt get a decent photo.
Here are a couple of pictures of his tail. Excuse the quality of the pictures.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
looks like a kink in his tail..has he fallen recently? sometimes breaks in the tail vertebrae can cause deformation...

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
BELIAL said:
looks like a kink in his tail..has he fallen recently? sometimes breaks in the tail vertebrae can cause deformation...
I agree, it looks more like a kink than a lump.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pretty sure he hasnt fallen as im very careful when handling him and theres no where he can fall from in his viv. From the pictures is does look like a kink but it seems to only affect the top side of his tail. It cant be seen if you look from beneath his tail.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Id go with the others and say its a little bent, as if you look in the second pic it appears to bend off slightly to the right. Perhaps its an old injury thats only just appearing as the dragon gets older? Does it appear to hurt if you touch it?

With regards to temps, so long as the basking spot is still around 105F or so, digestion shouldnt be affected.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
if he hasn't fallen it could be a subcutaneous abcess that is pushing up the skin and making the tail kink...this may also explain why it is getting bigger...if it is then it should be a localised infection...antibiotics should help clear it...if not will have to be balled out. (open the skin and cleaned)

from the pic from above really does look like a fracture though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. It doesnt seem to hurt when i touch it and he hasnt fallen that iv seen. Im off to the vets in 2 days so ill find out. thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Shy you have a great looking young beardy there. In answer to your question about him deficating if the temps drop to much it can affect his digestion but its unlikely thats the problem, If your worried about the temps up the wattage of the bulb or adjust your stats. As for his tail get it checked out by a herp vet and try not to keep touching it as you could worsen things. It might not be serious but better safe than sorry. Hope hes ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts