Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet.
As of 1st December 2014, L. williamsi has been elevated to CITES Annex B. So no more random wild caught imports. You will need to check that when buying, the seller can either prove the geckos are CB or have been lawfully imported with CITES permits.
This change came about due to concern that commercial trade in wild specimens posed a serious threat to the future survival of this species.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi there. Do you have a link to the information on this? Be good to read as I'm a breeder of l. williamsi.

Cheers,

Colin

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
There have been no "legal" exports of this species from Tanzania. As there was an agreement that no trade was taking place CITES did not appendix the species.

However due to the greed of some importers they were shipped out in large numbers.

CITES put a stop to this in April 2014, but as usual they started to trickle out again :-(

I am therefore delighted that they are to be given formal protection. They are one of the most endangered species of gecko on the planet, mainly due to palm nut plantations and over collection.

Many other species are effected by Palm nut and open cast mining. Global warming could wipe out large swaths of amphibians as it allows the easy spread of fungal infections. We must open our eyes and realise that these things are totally caused by the interference of the most destructive species on the planet, our own!

It is therefore vital that we as keepers do all that we can to produce as many C.B species as possible. Like the crested gecko that was once thought as extinct we can make a difference!

John

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there. Do you have a link to the information on this? Be good to read as I'm a breeder of l. williamsi.

Cheers,

Colin
I can send you the link to the revised Annex lists if you like. However, being Annex B, as a breeder, this won't impact on you. It will, however, impact on imports into the EU.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am aware of it not impacting on myself. But I'm always interested to read :)

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts