Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on identifying subspecies of these? I have bought a beautiful male tonight and would like to work out which he is - I've found general info but no real information on telling subspecies apart, and their different sizes. Would also be interested to know how many people are currently breeding them as I would think I might have to pick up a "matching" female in the next year or so, he's great.

Thanks

Kathy

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Macklots python IS a sub-species of the Liasis species, so there are no sub-species of Macklots, however there are sub-species of Liasis

Liasis mackloti mackloti = Macklots python
Liasis mackloti savuensis = Savu python
Liasis mackloti dunni = Dunns pyhon

: victory:

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Terry, I know that there are the three Liasis mackloti subspecies (genuine Macklot's, savu and Dunn - perhaps I didn't word it well) but I have not found info on what distincts each from the next? That's the information I'm trying to find. :2thumb:

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
that I am not sure, I am sure that Chrsitian explain a way of identifying a Dunn's it was something to do with the colouration under the chin I think, but he would be better to ask TBH as I am sure he has kept all 3 : victory:

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Terry, you're brilliant - will get in touch with Christian somehow! x

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Macklots python IS a sub-species of the Liasis species, so there are no sub-species of Macklots, however there are sub-species of Liasis

Liasis mackloti mackloti = Macklots python
Liasis mackloti savuensis = Savu python
Liasis mackloti dunni = Dunns pyhon

: victory:
Liasis is a genus, which contains the species Liasis mackloti which contain several subspecies, of which Macklots is one, right?

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Liasis is a genus, which contains the species Liasis mackloti which contain several subspecies, of which Macklots is one, right?
Yep

Liasis is a genus with 3 species Liasis mackloti which has 3 sub-species, Liasis olivaceus (olive python) no sub-species and another which I forget the scientific name of, the common name is Brown Water Snake I think, but don;t quote me on that one.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all of you - I have taken some pics (he is just going into blue though) and will just upload them to Photobucket. Thanks for the info - I was aware that I am looking at him getting up to 9ft with 7ft being more common. He is only 3 and 5.5ft though so he has some growth left in him.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
my boy was a rescue Ive had him 6 years and he was fully grown when I got him so Im guessing hes around 10 years old, he has his off days but normally hes fine to handle, this is my guy :)

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's gorgeous! Here is my lad, who Lisa says is the spitting image of Sean Locke (?!).

Still nowt but a bairn!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
He's gorgeous! Here is my lad, who Lisa says is the spitting image of Sean Locke (?!).

[URL="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5058/5395647096_3017c687df_b.jpg"]image[/URL]

[URL="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/5395049807_817c8bd937_b.jpg"]image[/URL]

Still nowt but a bairn!
hes really nice!:2thumb:

ive just picked an 2010 up and hes so tiny compared to these ones!!!!
hes got a right attitude on him in his viv but hes a sweetheart when out!
im sure if you get someone to email a pic of him to christian he'll confirm which he is as he IDd my olive for me that way!
gotta love liasis :flrt:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts