Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got a 42" x 36" tortoise table for my two hermans. Can anyone please tell me if i can plant anything directly into the table and how i can make the table more interesting for the tortoises as well as cooler to look at.
I will be using a 2" soil/sand substrate.

Thank you so much,

Exciting times.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
I would ditch the sand and just use soil if it was me, sand can be a bit irritating to the eyes. Try to think of what they would have in the wild, rocks, low growing shrubby plants and soil with little hills etc. Fancy decorations do not go down well and are soon destroyed by tortoises, so the best way to go is plain but with lots of lumps and bumps to break up he line of view ;)

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I found that spider plants do ok in a table and the torts like to sit under the leaves as well as eat those within reach, I put my in the soil that it came in and with spraying/watering everyday it thrived. Pansies are also another plant that is liked and can be eaten, both are cheap to buy and as the spider plant produces babies which can be planted in pots for later use one mother plant will last forever. The plant I bought was big enough to be split into two and I'd always find the torts under it it was always a bit more humid/damp and they seemed to like it there. You can always dig a bit of 'turf' with weeds, although it won't live for long it gives them some fresh food to nibble.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
Do be sure that plants put in the table are not straight from garden centres or shops, as they will likely have been sprayed with pesticides etc which can kill - always use well weathered plants or those you have grown yourself ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Let me ask, spider plants are known to grow to 5ft so would i just keep them well trimmed in my table as I only have about 9" height also I have previously used pasnsis but i found that due to the temperature in the tortoise table thousands of small flies, green flies and white flies appeared. It was awful. What do you suggest please?

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
Thank you. Let me ask, spider plants are known to grow to 5ft so would i just keep them well trimmed in my table as I only have about 9" height also I have previously used pasnsis but i found that due to the temperature in the tortoise table thousands of small flies, green flies and white flies appeared. It was awful. What do you suggest please?

Well I don't put plants in my tables as, they get battered within a day:lol2: I concentrate more on rocks, logs etc and offer fresh food on a slate daily ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hermanns age 10

Hi could anyone advise me im going to be taking on a 10yr old hermanns its been kept in a large viv and has never been hibernated!Is it a problem to hibernate now or should i wait?I am going to transfer to a table when i get her/him same as my others are in!Any advice much appreciated.thanks

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
Hi could anyone advise me im going to be taking on a 10yr old hermanns its been kept in a large viv and has never been hibernated!Is it a problem to hibernate now or should i wait?I am going to transfer to a table when i get her/him same as my others are in!Any advice much appreciated.thanks

I would not take a new tortoise and hibernate it straight away, unless you know this tortoises history very well at close hand. Moving to a new environment, even a better one, will be stressful to it and so you need to get it used to it's new surroundings and get an idea of what it eats, what it weighs, how it reacts to it's new home etc before thinking of hibernation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Sue thats what i needed to know as far as Ive been told its always been awake in vivarium so I won't hibernate this time!Would you recommend next year dependant on weight and health?Also my two wee ones when would you recommend them to hibernate?They are 9 months old now and still quite small so I wasn't going to this year!

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
Thanks Sue thats what i needed to know as far as Ive been told its always been awake in vivarium so I won't hibernate this time!Would you recommend next year dependant on weight and health?Also my two wee ones when would you recommend them to hibernate?They are 9 months old now and still quite small so I wasn't going to this year!

Well, I hibernate my babies from 20 grams, so it's up to you really. What weight are yours, mine would be around 50 grams at that age. I would certainly hibernate your older horsfield next year. See how he goes in his new home and if he is healthy, he might just decide to wind himself down anyway, you will be able to tell by him suddenly not wanting to eat. Don't confuse this with not eating when goint to a new home though, as this is normal after a big change.
Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts