Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have this big old wood thing that I'm planning on transforming into a viv the only problem is that I'm not sure if it is pine or cedar, my dad says it probably is. If it is is there anyway I can still use it for a royal python or leopard geckos (still not sure for whom it will be)? Maybe lining the whole thing with contact or something similar? Painting it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
HI

I know pine is a definate non no as the oils in the wood are toxic not sure on cedar though but i have never heard of its use for vivaria but i wouldnt personally use it as i dont know for sure.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
pine and cedar are VERY TOXIC to ALL reptiles, do not use it, thats the reason that they use cedar to make furniture, it keeps bugs like moths away from your clothes.
Sorry about the capital letters, but this is a serious message i'm trying to get across.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im also thinking of building a viv, was thinking about using MDF for the structure with some sort of possibly waterproofed hardboard sheets on the inside walls and for a false/raised floor and ceiling. im guessing that's going to be safe enough?

could you not also approach the "big old wood thing" problem by building a similar box within the big old wood thing ..... make sense? .... lot of effort maybe :?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use melamine faced chipboard (usually sold as "Contiboard") rather than MDF or anything else.
Melamine board is waterproof already and needs no extra sealing apart from silicone around the joints.

As for converting the unit - you could line it with either perspex or hardboard sealed with yacht varnish, but it would probably be less work to build a melamine viv from scratch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
building a viv in pine

hi,have brought pine to build viv for my dragon and then read pine is a no no cause its poisonous.would it be ok to build it with pine and use 6mm ply to cover all the inside?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Should be fine to line it with ply - you'd still need to seal it properly though - yacht varnish all surfaces and silicone around the joints.

If you've not built it yet it may be easier to fix the ply onto the pine first, rather than try to fit it after the viv is built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts