Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have a make a a female bearded dragon. They have always been very tame and love to be taken out and cuddled, the male actually prefers to be fed outside of his viv.

In the last couple of days he has become increasingly upset when anyone comes close to the viv and just now was physically banging his head on the glass when we took the female out, big black beard the lot.

As soon as we put her back he calmed right down.

Why would he become so defensive of her so quickly?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Evening all,

I have a make a a female bearded dragon. They have always been very tame and love to be taken out and cuddled, the male actually prefers to be fed outside of his viv.

In the last couple of days he has become increasingly upset when anyone comes close to the viv and just now was physically banging his head on the glass when we took the female out, big black beard the lot.

As soon as we put her back he calmed right down.

Why would he become so defensive of her so quickly?
Just thought I'd add I've only had them a fortnight as I adopted them and he has always been funny about her coming out, just today he seems to have flipped.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
he's maintaining a territory, he will make the females life a misery now the hormones are kicking in

you will need to split them up

john

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now you mention it every morning I've come down he is practically sitting on her. And does not like her coming near the basking branch. Could I introduce a second female now if he was rehomed?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
no, they need to be separate, the males will dominate a female to the detriment of her feeding. They get stressed and hurt.

look at the wild, this is a solitary species, they come to together to mate, fleetingly and then she's off again.

grouping them in confinement where one cannot escape the other is a bad idea.

you need to separate them

john

Now you mention it every morning I've come down he is practically sitting on her. And does not like her coming near the basking branch. Could I introduce a second female now if he was rehomed?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
ok you decide, as a professional, that's my advice. its up to you if you listen.

John

I thought females could be kept together? Tbh she eats a he'll of a lot more than him.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not not listening, I'm new to keeping lizards, I have had snakes before so this is a learning curve for me. All I'm saying is that I have read that you can keep females together.

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
Sometimes you can keep females together and sometimes not. Your best bet is to not bother hun and just keep one or keep both but separate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've only had them a fortnight as I adopted them. Would be gutted to get rid of one but I can't afford to buy another set up to house one. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
It is a shame yes. Would it take long for you to afford another set up? Have a look on ebay as you can get some good deals.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You need to split them asap. It was mentioned on here when you got them.

I wouldn't bother with the second female, it has worked for people, I've done it in the past I would be very unlikely to do it again. It can be almost as problematic as with a male.

Can you not stick a new viv on top of the current one? Not a lot more space, if you build it yourself it shouldn't cost a fortune. It may also take a little while to find a home for an adult make without a setup so you need at least a short term solution.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I now have my bigger Viv however he is still very defensive, he always seems to be angry (black beard, very rarely puffs it up though).

I thought it was territorial in the viv which it prob is but even when he is out of the viv he will run across the lounge to just on her back, he had hold of the skin on top of her head and grazed it.

He has settled down the last couple of days but I really do not want to get rid of one of them but I don;t have space for a second viv.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If you've ignored the advice of splitting them in favour of a larger viv and you don't have the room for a second viv there isn't much more anyone can further add here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it is unfair to say I have ignored advice, I bought a bigger viv that I couldn't really afford to give them more space but it is the biggest one I could get to go in the space I have. I adopted them from someone who obviously did not look after them properly and I have done all I can to improve their quality of life, I am a firm believer that a pet is for life which is why I am so reluctant to re-home him.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not wishing to sound blunt but I don't know what you want from here.

He wants to f**k her senseless and be the boss, this is not a tender process. His innate libido and dominance will not disappear with a few feet extra floor space or by asking the same question again.

Either give one up, get a second viv or have a female who is likely to become stressed and a male that isn't going to become calm to the detriment of both lizards. I'm sorry if rescuing these lizards has proven more problematic than you thought it would, but it can't be helped and imo you have a responsibility to do what's best for them.

Edit: sorry, it does appear you are ignoring advice, no one suggested a slightly big viv would help. The sentiment of a pet being for life is admirable but it needs to be a 'good life'

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It may seem harsh and I'm sorry if it offends

I appreciate your intentions are good but in re-homing something with a poor quality of life when you don't have sufficient means to do so isn't the best start.

If you care about the wellbeing of No.2 then I recommend either finding the space for a 2nd viv somewhere in your house or allow it to be re-homed with someone who can.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They came as a pair so only taking one wasn't an option but it looks like I may need to re-home one of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts