Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i posted a thread the other day asking for advice about breeding ball python morphs as this is something i would like to do in the future. currently i do own both a male and female coastal carpet python so iv'e decided to breed these together first to gain some experience before i breed ball pythons. i think this would be a good idea and a good thing to do.
my question is, is my male up to the job ? hes tiny compared to the female, hes around three years old and four feet give or take a few inches, from what ive read males need not be the same size as the females as they mature at much younger age, but surely there is a preferred size at which they can breed at ???? any advice on sizes and weights etc would be much appreciated : victory:

(sorry for the long message peeps :whistling2: )

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just give it a go, he either will or won;t there is no health risk to him, assuming the females doesn;t squash him :lol2:
so his small size wont affect his health or put any stress on him, its just a matter of him being into the older girls or not haha ... he does look like a shoe lace compared with her though.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
My male albino bred this year at 18 moths of age and less than 500g's in weight and my male bredli did the same the year before at a similar age. They do not have to be big to pack viable sperm.

Just look at the comparative sizes of male and female hognose snakes for example.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for uploading that piccy :) beautiful snakes... similar size difference in my male and female

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.