Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys some of you might have read my post about losing my male gecko and finding him in the toilet after going under my house etc etc. Well now hes back and he has an issue with digging the sand up when i turn the lights out.

He is definatly a male but just has a facination with kicking the sand back with hes backlegs and digging it up. The temperatures are fine and the viv is half sand half gravel ( They have been on kitchen roll before ).

Is there any explanation for a male gecko digging at night. If he carrys on im going to swap them over to reptile carpet i was just holding out because i only recently got the sand/gravel and recently purchased some reptile carpet.

He is housed with hes female freind gecko who seems to find him digging amusing as she watches from a distance.

Edit: I recently re-arranged their viv could it be him doing somthing terratorial?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
can i ask why is he on sand ? repti carpet is bad to. sand is bad due to the fact it can turn into sand balls once swallowed and cause problems for your gecko ,repti carpet pulls there nails out ,the best sub is tiles which are cleaner well easy to clean ,paper or kitchen towel ,as for the diging he may be stressed was he in the water of the toilet ,or just in the room ,pics of him would be good

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
sorry forgot to add how old are your gecko as realy u should seperate them as the male may start mating her and too much mating for your female can cause her stress which aint good only add a male if plan on breeding and have the cash ,accessories etc to rais the eggs ,i have a viv for sale with heat mat,light and accessories , there is a large crack at back which previouse owner has siliconed and put poly over some is missing but once back ground is on its fine im only selling due to my new 4 tank viv unit

·
Registered
75 Posts
my geckos loved to dig at night when i kept thm on bark, i would go to sleep and just hear thm digging lol kept me awake but was amusing... its generally nothing to worry about . gives thm gd exercise and keeps thm happy ....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry forgot to add how old are your gecko as realy u should seperate them as the male may start mating her and too much mating for your female can cause her stress which aint good only add a male if plan on breeding and have the cash ,accessories etc to rais the eggs ,i have a viv for sale with heat mat,light and accessories , there is a large crack at back which previouse owner has siliconed and put poly over some is missing but once back ground is on its fine im only selling due to my new 4 tank viv unit
Im not going into a thread about why my geckos are together they are fine and i didnt ask that... I also didnt ask your opinion about sand thats a personal choice. My Geckos are over 2 years old and are both freindly, never mate so thats the end on that subject.

Reactions: gizmo76

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my geckos loved to dig at night when i kept thm on bark, i would go to sleep and just hear thm digging lol kept me awake but was amusing... its generally nothing to worry about . gives thm gd exercise and keeps thm happy ....
Yeah i think its for enjoyment lol he seems like hes having fun making a mess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts