Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, just thought i'd post some piccy's up of my leopard gecko's enclosure to maybe give u some ideas and ofcourse to get some feedback on it.

He's in a 3ftx18x18 viv with a 2% uv light and heat mat on the right which is on a thermostat. The temps are 29 degrees cold end and 33 degrees hot end.

I have used play sand and added more to the cold end to add height and make it look more natural. Please don't give me a lecture about play sand, it's what ive chosen to use as i feel this is the most natural substrate and its the sort of substrate they would have in the wild. I am against housing them on repti-carpet, newspaper or lino or anything like that as i feel it is not natural and they cannot display natural behaviour such a digging which my leo loves to do!

Anyway here are some piccy's, enjoy :)

I think he looks very happy with his new enclosure in this pic :

Reactions: creg

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Lovely and a lovely Leo too.
I wish I could find a wild type as spotty as that. All the ones I find/see are lacking in the crazy spotty leopardyness.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Nice set up although i do use lino but i have a younger gecko and a newer lizard owner so i prefer lino just for ease of cleaning and his lack of aim means he would eat the sand from constant missing :/

Your cool side temperatures though seem way too high mine sits at 26 and even thats too high.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Nice set up although i do use lino but i have a younger gecko and a newer lizard owner so i prefer lino just for ease of cleaning and his lack of aim means he would eat the sand from constant missing :/

Your cool side temperatures though seem way too high mine sits at 26 and even thats too high.
Some Leo's like it hot, my big male's cool end is always at 27-29 and his hot end is 33-34. He stops eating if it goes colder. Bare in mind this one's got those branches to climb on if the floor is too warm for his liking one day, a 2%uv won't throw out hardly any heat.
The new Sunglow girly I got likes it a bit cooler 24-26 in the cool end.
The Leo seems to look very healthy. As for sand you know I keep mine on Play sand and have done always, never had a problem, but if I had a Leo with REALLY bad aim I'd got for slate/tiles. Lino is always cleaner and good for beginners like you said :) and sand is no good for hatchlings but he looks to be a lovely chunky boy :)
How is Gary doing btw? Bet he's growing like the clappers!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
4 degrees of difference isnt really providing much of a thermal gradient for him. would defo get that cool side colder.

nice to see someone going beyond the minimum of 2 foot for their leo :2thumb:

Reactions: dramen

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Looks really nice and he is seriously spotty! lol

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
4 degrees of difference isnt really providing much of a thermal gradient for him. would defo get that cool side colder.

nice to see someone going beyond the minimum of 2 foot for their leo :2thumb:
I agree with you as i have my leo in a 2ft vivarium and tbh it may be the minimum but i consider it way too small already and mine is not even full grown yet! (hes up to 52g on his last weigh in though the little fatty)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I agree with you as i have my leo in a 2ft vivarium and tbh it may be the minimum but i consider it way too small already and mine is not even full grown yet! (hes up to 52g on his last weigh in though the little fatty)
52g ?!?!
He's massive! What are you feeding him? Kryptonite? Adamntium? Miracle Grow?
Godzilla is like 4 and he's 68g, Gary is a monster.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
52g ?!?!
He's massive! What are you feeding him? Kryptonite? Adamntium? Miracle Grow?
Godzilla is like 4 and he's 68g, Gary is a monster.
I think i best make a new thread and not hijack this one lol.

Reactions: Rawwwrchazli

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Is there a moist hide in there? looks nice! :) leopard geckos dont live sandy deserts but its more natural then kitchen roll, Tile, Lino etc :)
This depends because recent discoveries show that in certain areas they do, that and david attenborough filmed on in the wild on just sand coming out a burrow......he claims they have begun to move out of their native areas

Tbh i use a mix for my subs of tortoise earth lite sand and dried sphagnum moss mixed in as it creates the perfect scrub.

But the OPs setup is lovely :-D

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
This depends because recent discoveries show that in certain areas they do, that and david attenborough filmed on in the wild on just sand coming out a burrow......he claims they have begun to move out of their native areas

Tbh i use a mix for my subs of tortoise earth lite sand and dried sphagnum moss mixed in as it creates the perfect scrub.

But the OPs setup is lovely :-D
I remember reading somewhere that the shot was faked :/ And i think it was on these forums somewhere. Although i can well believe that to be possible as they need to adapt with us humans destroying their natural habitats they need to adapt to survive.

This is what bugs me so much about the APA coming after the herpetologist when they should be out there stopping their natural homes being destroyed. But lets not flog a dead horse because then they will start on us about the dead horse ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the comments everyone, its much appreciated :) i think a 3ft viv is a perfect size for a leopard gecko. My female is in a temporary 2ft viv and i think its way too small so im looking to get her a 3ft one aswell. He does have a moist hide its in the middle underneath the trailing plant its his 'dark place' lol and ok i will put the temp down a bit in the cool end.

I had them both housed in seperate 50L rubs for a few weeks temporarily and im amazed how much their behaviour has changed since going in vivs. They are a lot more active, more friendly and not so spooked and eat a lot more aswell so im really against housing them in plastic tubs now as i feel this spooks them out and they are obviously not comfortable in them so i think housing them in vivs is the best thing.

Substrate wise i have had no probs with play sand, its cheap and natural, i have had so many shops trying to sell me calci sand and god knows what other expensive rubbish and telling me not to use play sand as it has 'sharp edges' but i think this whole impaction thing is a load of rubbish. In the wild they wouldn't live on flat surfaces and the fact both my geckos love digging and they live underground in the wild shows that they are able to display natural behaviour. I can understand that younger gecko's would benefit from lino or something more safe but i like to keep my enclosures as natural as possible :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
thanks for the comments everyone, its much appreciated :) i think a 3ft viv is a perfect size for a leopard gecko. My female is in a temporary 2ft viv and i think its way too small so im looking to get her a 3ft one aswell. He does have a moist hide its in the middle underneath the trailing plant its his 'dark place' lol and ok i will put the temp down a bit in the cool end.

I had them both housed in seperate 50L rubs for a few weeks temporarily and im amazed how much their behaviour has changed since going in vivs. They are a lot more active, more friendly and not so spooked and eat a lot more aswell so im really against housing them in plastic tubs now as i feel this spooks them out and they are obviously not comfortable in them so i think housing them in vivs is the best thing.

Substrate wise i have had no probs with play sand, its cheap and natural, i have had so many shops trying to sell me calci sand and god knows what other expensive rubbish and telling me not to use play sand as it has 'sharp edges' but i think this whole impaction thing is a load of rubbish. In the wild they wouldn't live on flat surfaces and the fact both my geckos love digging and they live underground in the wild shows that they are able to display natural behaviour. I can understand that younger gecko's would benefit from lino or something more safe but i like to keep my enclosures as natural as possible :)
To a great degree I agree with you about impaction being blown out of proportion, it's a real worry when animals are kept on calci sand due to the size of individual grains, however on play sand i would think the risk to be pretty minimal, it's not likely from an evolutionary point of view that there would still be leopard geckos on the planet if they were gunna all die from ingesting the odd bit of sand, grit or dirt.

Viv looks great, lovely to see the effort made and lots of luck for the future :2thumb:

Dave

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks :2thumb: i just can't believe how much my gecko's have changed. My female gecko used to open her mouth and bite me and she stopped eating for weeks when she was housed in a rub. Now shes in a viv she actually wants to come out and is really active and has put weight on, same thing for my male gecko.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just made sure it was really tightly screwed on but it does slip off quite a lot :/ what i have done to one of my othr vivs which seems to work is to cut a bit of the glass away to stop if from slipping here is some pics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.