1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the adults, first the male

female

Female with eggs (16-Jun)

and today two of three hatchlings to have emerged so far (7 eggs in total), No 2

and number 3

As the picture says, Afternoon Delights (except it was almost midnight). What a week I'm having.
Graham.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Now thats what i like to see
they are lush and have always remained a favorite of mine.
i take it they still demand a high price?

great pictures mate: victory:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. They are not seen that often, granted, and the small clutch size usually contributes to the higher price. Lexcorn had a clutch last year which were selling for £275+ at the Shows I believe.
Graham.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Thanks both. They are not seen that often, granted, and the small clutch size usually contributes to the higher price. Lexcorn had a clutch last year which were selling for £275+ at the Shows I believe.
Graham.
Thats brillant.
I think i am gonna have to start getting more ratsnakes soon...mine arent anything fancy really.

I believe i read somewhere ages ago about some wierd breeding pattern/method they had,....cant remember what...unless it wasnt this speices:lol2:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Thats brillant.
I think i am gonna have to start getting more ratsnakes soon...mine arent anything fancy really.

I believe i read somewhere ages ago about some wierd breeding pattern/method they had,....cant remember what...unless it wasnt this speices:lol2:
sounds interesting i like these and the rhino rats:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
They are stunning!
Mandarins and Bamboo rats are my favourite!

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Gorgeous,and great to see such a dreadfully mistreated species being captively bred.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have read consistently they can be tricky to keep alive, let alone breed.

Well done!!
Can be 'tricky' to keep alive if you obtain Wild Caught specimens.

Breeding is successfull if you observe correct husbandry, they are not difficult to maintain but, definately, not an ideal beginner snake.

Excellent results Graham.

Regards. Lex

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Gorgeous,and great to see such a dreadfully mistreated species being captively bred.
What do you mean?

Can be 'tricky' to keep alive if you obtain Wild Caught specimens.

Breeding is successfull if you observe correct husbandry, they are not difficult to maintain but, definately, not an ideal beginner snake.

Excellent results Graham.

Regards. Lex
Im sure more CB will produce more hardy individuals, and we will learn more :).

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Brilliant work - well done! These are beautiful snakes. Keep it up, and maybe one day I will be able to afford one-or two!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you mean?
Thanks everyone, I am really over the moon with these. 6 out so far and one to go. These certainly will not be ending up in the Wok as they often do where they occur naturally. :bash:
Graham.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
What do you mean?
Traditionally the Mandarin Rat snake is used in Chinese medicine,they have their gall bladders removed whilst still alive and are then left to live until nature takes it's course.
In years gone by,if you were buying Mandarins you would always check for the scar first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts