·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Im wondering if anyone has any tips on sexing varanus indicus

I think I have a female but want to be sure before I find a mate

is it torch test/vets?

I know they aren’t as easy as just looking but females tend to be slimmer and have slightly different builds
But I don’t have one to compare mine too

she’s been digging a lot lately, which she’s never done, so I assumed looking for nesting for slugs or if I’m lucky partho eggs 😅

anyways after that long arse story, is anyone experienced with indicus and sexing and breeding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Hi everyone

Im wondering if anyone has any tips on sexing varanus indicus

I think I have a female but want to be sure before I find a mate

is it torch test/vets?

I know they aren’t as easy as just looking but females tend to be slimmer and have slightly different builds
But I don’t have one to compare mine too

she’s been digging a lot lately, which she’s never done, so I assumed looking for nesting for slugs or if I’m lucky partho eggs 😅

anyways after that long arse story, is anyone experienced with indicus and sexing and breeding?

Thanks!

Hi, if the animal is tractable enough can you show a few photos of the vent area in profile without the tailbase resting on anything as in this pic (it doesn`t matter it`s a different species) also say how long you`ve had the monitor and if you`ve noticed a relatively sudden weight gain recently?
Hand Gesture Finger Wrist Nail

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, if the animal is tractable enough can you show a few photos of the vent area in profile without the tailbase resting on anything as in this pic (it doesn`t matter it`s a different species) also say how long you`ve had the monitor and if you`ve noticed a relatively sudden weight gain recently? View attachment 350936
thank you for the reply! She isn’t close to take but i could try and look at that
I guess that’s male

I’ve had her 6 months ish
And she’s been a constant weight if I’m honest no drop or gain
Just a random need to dig over the last few weeks

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
thank you for the reply! She isn’t close to take but i could try and look at that
I guess that’s male

I’ve had her 6 months ish
And she’s been a constant weight if I’m honest no drop or gain
Just a random need to dig over the last few weeks
Can you show the whole enclosure and a few photos of the monitor from quite recently?
Edit: Also a reasonable estimation of the animal`s size?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you show the whole enclosure and a few photos of the monitor from quite recently?

I don’t have any of the full enclosure, it’s 6.5x2.5x2.2
She’s got a 64ltr rub as a water bowl

She looks massive in the pool pic but
She’s is prob 2ft just over in total length
I know this pics won’t help but that’s some I got today

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
View attachment 350937 View attachment 350939 View attachment 350940 View attachment 350941

I don’t have any of the full enclosure, it’s 6.5x2.5x2.2
She’s got a 64ltr rub as a water bowl

She looks massive in the pool pic but
She’s is prob 2ft just over in total length
I know this pics won’t help but that’s some I got today
I think the enclosure is too small particularly the height and width, there is no way you can get a decent depth of substrate if the monitor is female (at least 30 to 38cm) it also needs to be heated to quite a narrow range for nesting..
The water should also be heated. I`m not going to try and determine gender based on those pics, but do try and get a few more. Can you give details of the ambient and basking surface temps and wattage and type of basking bulb/s?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the enclosure is too small particularly the height and width, there is no way you can get a decent depth of substrate if the monitor is female (at least 30 to 38cm) it also needs to be heated to quite a narrow range for nesting..
The water should also be heated. I`m not going to try and determine gender based on those pics, but do try and get a few more. Can you give details of the ambient and basking surface temps and wattage and type of basking bulb/s?
I completely agree, I don’t need to go into it on here but divorce and life hitting me in the face means I lost all the space I had so sadly my animals aren’t in ‘massive homes’ as I’m living in a box right now
I’m hoping to move soon and get them back into bigger custom set ups. So it’s rehome them and don’t know where they go or they give me a bit to get back on my feet.

I’d like to get her in an 8x4x6 minimum but sadly I don’t have that space at current.

Basking is 135-120 depending were she lays
I have a 100w basking flood and a 75w deep heat projector to give a covering and let her pick what she wants
Cool end is 82 ambient and 88 in the middle
105-90’s from the hot end
A t5 12% uvb and I can’t remember of the top of my head the uvi but my 6.5 meter says it’s good around Ferguson zone 3

She has a spot where soil is around 10ish Inches that’s 86/7 degrees that’s humped up in a corner to allow the depth
Water is heated and filtered and cleaned completely once a week, as well as a smaller bowl to drink from daily cleaned

I’m having my fair share of life atm and don’t intend to get her a boyfriend or breed until I have space to do so.
But there isn’t anything wrong with getting things in place and learn before hand, could be 4/5 years before I even pair her, might get back on my luck in 6 months. I really don’t know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I completely agree, I don’t need to go into it on here but divorce and life hitting me in the face means I lost all the space I had so sadly my animals aren’t in ‘massive homes’ as I’m living in a box right now
I’m hoping to move soon and get them back into bigger custom set ups. So it’s rehome them and don’t know where they go or they give me a bit to get back on my feet.

I’d like to get her in an 8x4x6 minimum but sadly I don’t have that space at current.

I have a 100w basking flood and a 75w deep heat projector to give a covering and let her pick what she wants
A t5 12% uvb and I can’t remember of the top of my head the uvi but my 6.5 meter says it’s good around Ferguson zone 3

She has a spot where soil is around 10ish Inches that’s 86/7 degrees that’s humped up in a corner to allow the depth
Water is heated and filtered and cleaned completely once a week, as well as a smaller bowl to drink from daily cleaned

I’m having my fair share of life atm and don’t intend to get her a boyfriend or breed until I have space to do so.
But there isn’t anything wrong with getting things in place and learn before hand, could be 4/5 years before I even pair her, might get back on my luck in 6 months. I really don’t know.
I hope all turns out well for you, and yes it's ideal to plan ahead, well ahead in the case of a monitor.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

If you do have a female you need to provide suitable nesting, heaping soil up in a corner is not enough, if that place doesn`t suit her she could well hold onto the eggs and die (I`m not being dramatic, reproductive failure in females is very common in captivity). You could add a "nestbox" as an extra option.
Can you get a few more photos of the vent area, and if possible a decent length measurement (taking pics and then measuring the object the animal is resting on if you can`t measure directly)?
The temps,etc sound o.k...
Again if female you have no choice, she will become gravid on a regular basis and a decent chance the eggs might be fertile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do have a female you need to provide suitable nesting, heaping soil up in a corner is not enough, if that place doesn`t suit her she could well hold onto the eggs and die (I`m not being dramatic, reproductive failure in females is very common in captivity). You could add a "nestbox" as an extra option.
Can you get a few more photos of the vent area, and if possible a decent length measurement (taking pics and then measuring the object the animal is resting on if you can`t measure directly)?
Again if female you have no choice, she will become gravid on a regular basis and a decent chance the eggs might be fertile.
I can take out a lot of stuff from the Viv and add a lot more substrate for her,

Why only o.k.... what would you recommend?

I’ll get some better pics tomorrow as tomorrow she’s getting whole prey which I get her to come out the Viv for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, if the animal is tractable enough can you show a few photos of the vent area in profile without the tailbase resting on anything as in this pic (it doesn`t matter it`s a different species) also say how long you`ve had the monitor and if you`ve noticed a relatively sudden weight gain recently? View attachment 350936
I can take out a lot of stuff from the Viv and add a lot more substrate for her,

I’ll get some better pics tomorrow as tomorrow she’s getting whole prey which I get her to come out the Viv for
these are what I just got
I’m sure it’s female
I’ve emptied the Viv as such and given 2 extra bags of soil the 35l ones
So I have a good foot in over half the set up, the only way I can have more is to reduce the water bowl

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

The temps etc are ok, meaning nothing much wrong, personally I would have a lowest ambient @ around 24c, I would also think about using 2 basking bulbs to ensure they heat as much of the body as possible which is extremely important, it will also allow for an even greater range of basking surface temps (keep in mind you haven`t shown the basking site so it may be large enough already)?
What does "whole prey" refer to, they should be getting whole prey the vast majority if not whole of the time?
Edit: Which bulb has the wire cage around it and is it heatproof?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The temps etc are ok, meaning nothing much wrong, personally I would have a lowest ambient @ around 24c, I would also think about using 2 basking bulbs to ensure they heat as much of the body as possible which is extremely important, it will also allow for an even greater range of basking surface temps (keep in mind you haven`t shown the basking site so it may be large enough already)?
What does "whole prey" refer to, they should be getting whole prey the vast majority if not whole of the time?
whole prey is 90%
But I do feed bugs
And when I feed bugs I don’t tong feed or get her to come out the Viv to tun
I feed, chicks, rats, mice, shrimps, fish, crayfish, roaches, locusts

I appreciate Your help but I asked how to sex not how to care and feel like I’m being attacked
If you wish to call me to discuss I’m happy but I can’t be bothered to feel like I’m explaining myself over message

I use to have 2 light bulbs for that reason and was recommend to use one with deep heat do give different kinds of uva and infra red a
I use 2 lamps to have a large covered so the whole animal can fit under the basking site
I’m sure she’s female and I’ve added deep soil. I’m getting a new Viv for her soon 6 weeks wait time so I can better my care

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
whole prey is 90%
But I do feed bugs
And when I feed bugs I don’t tong feed or get her to come out the Viv to tun
I feed, chicks, rats, mice, shrimps, fish, crayfish, roaches, locusts

I appreciate Your help but I asked how to sex not how to care and feel like I’m being attacked
If you wish to call me to discuss I’m happy but I can’t be bothered to feel like I’m explaining myself over message

I use to have 2 light bulbs for that reason and was recommend to use one with deep heat do give different kinds of uva and infra red a
I use 2 lamps to have a large covered so the whole animal can fit under the basking site
I’m sure she’s female and I’ve added deep soil. I’m getting a new Viv for her soon 6 weeks wait time so I can better my care

thanks for the help
I`m sorry you feel like you`re being "attacked", I ask questions in order to try and offer some reliable advise based on the information you`ve provided, if that`s is out of order I`ll leave you to it.
The situation is urgent if the monitor is female, her life depends on you providing what she needs, the substrate temps have to be measured below ground, obviously that`s where she will deposit them if she does try and nest them (not always the case if infertile)..
Whatever happens now you need to get regular weight measurements of the monitor.
"Whole prey" refers to the complete animal whether invert or vertebrate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts