Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was thinking of a few mantids as new pets :)

i got a few Q's for owners :p

1 do they need a heat source
2 will 2 males fight
3 what do they eat
4 what should i put in the tank
5 will 2 females fight
6 i cant think of anything else

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
1 do they need a heat source - no, mantids do very well at room temperature
2 will 2 males fight - Almost all species of mantid are cannibalistic, thry do best when kept singly.
3 what do they eat - Young mantids eat aphids, blackfly or small fruit flies. Some feed micro crickets but they do occassionally prey on the mantids and can do them some serious damage. Adults eat flies (houseflies, bluebottles, greenbottles etc.) caterpillars, moths and stick insects.
4 what should i put in the tank - branches for climbing are appreciated, put leafy shoots in a pot of damp oasis to keep them fresh and green for longer.

You should also occassionally mist your mantid. Ghana and flower mantids are probably the largest and sturdiest mantids suitable as pets.
Also beware - mantisd can inflict a mean bite 8)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well...you've answered everything, my mantids love crickets and hoppers even the odd wax worm, woodlice,

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Might be worth saying that overfeeding is a big problem with young mantids (perhaps more in the 'common' african mantids?)

BTW when you do get one if your anything like me you'll love watching them hunt. I had a little guy who would hang upside down on a leaf and wait for the x.small cricket he's been stalking to look at him. He'd nab it and bite its neck(soft part of its outer-shell i think), then eat it alive. Sounds sort of sick but it really was quite funny to watch.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive seen them on ebay , if i bought one do you think it would make it to me?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Plenty of inverts are sent through the post successfully, but I would at least wait until after xmas. With the current mail riush god only knows how long it would be sitting around waiting to be delivered!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts