Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i got banned from buying a chinese mantis from ebay by the gf...dammit. hell will just do it when she ain't around!:smile:

think it would be ok..they usually sell small nymphs so should be ok...millions of people buy them from there...(well may be not millions!)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
as long as you trust the seller it should be fine..look at their ratings to give you an idea of happy customers

·
Registered
549 Posts
only problem with buying mantids from ebay is that they are only small, you may be best waiting for the sellers who sell more then one at a time so you have a better chance of a survivor,

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
check the feedback and see if other people who have bought are satisfied and ask whats his policy of them arriving dead does he replace or refund if he does i would say go for it :)

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
just out of interest, what are mantids like to keep as pets, i find them
Incredibly fascinating but have never even seen a real one? i think il read up on them and prob get one from the link above but would be good to get some opinions?

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I have bought all my Mantids from ebay the first time I bought just one it was an L2 African mantid nymph tiny little thing who is now a 3" mature female no problems at all.

The second lot I bought a few real cheap these were chinese mantids I sold some on and kept a couple they were tiny when I bought them they were L1 nymphs they have shed once since I got them, they were so small you could only feed them on fruit flys, you would be surprised to be honest how hardy little things they are not as delicate as a tiny spider sling.

They arrive in cups with net over the top which I have found is the best way to keep them until they are a bit older you have to keep them warm and spray them every couple of days and feed them every day they grow fast.

I real like my mantids they are fasinating, they are one of my favourite inverts I will always keep them, remember the chinese mantids grow to 5" so they are quite big they live about a year to 18 months.

·
Registered
577 Posts
in my oppinion they make great pets, ive kept snakes for ages but always fancied a mantis so i bought one a month or so ago,
the feeding habits are truely awe inspiring and more than make up for the lack of action the rest of the time, the way they turn their head to watch you as you move around near the tank is also cool,
i'll stick a few picks up of my marbled mantid tomorrow,

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my first mantid not long ago. Its easy to care for. I keep mine in a tub with soil substrate at the bottom and lots of sticks and ivy for it to climb and hang from when its ready to moult, which it did a couple of days ago!:)
I feed it either small crickets or mini mealworms twice a week and lightly spray the leaves every day. She seems to be doing ok on this:smile::smile:
Tis a budwing mantis by the way

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
He's/She's pretty. What kind of mantis is it?

·
Registered
577 Posts
she's a marbled mantis, her wings never folded in properly after her last moult so they are constantly held in the position you can see on the pic, she can still fly with them fine though

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
she's a marbled mantis, her wings never folded in properly after her last moult so they are constantly held in the position you can see on the pic, she can still fly with them fine though
doesnt that make it a him, only male mantids fly dont they??

·
Registered
577 Posts
most females can fly although Gravid females cannot fly because of the added weight of developing eggs, and the females of some species have short, stubby wings that make flight impossible, mines definitly a female as she only has 6 segments making up her abdomen, males have more, 8 i believe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts