Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other month we followed mad baboon's care sheet for breeding waxworms and it worked perfectly. It then got me wondering whether rearing them on a mix of manuka honey and wheatabix would have any effect either on the nutritional value of the waxies or their growth.
Having seen jars for about £15 I'm tempted to have a go however I'm interested to see whether anyone has tried it And whether they've noticed a difference?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the small jars of manuka were about £15 we might do a bit of an experiment. When we harvest the waxies we'll split our hold back culture. Half on normal and half on manuka and see what happens!

Reactions: tomcannon

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Since the small jars of manuka were about £15 we might do a bit of an experiment. When we harvest the waxies we'll split our hold back culture. Half on normal and half on manuka and see what happens!
Yeah that would be the best thing that way yoi can see if they grow faster and compare a size difference etc... Talk to you local college or university, they may be able to sort you out with nutritional test. To find out how the two compare nutritionally..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great idea. We were trying to think of a way to test the nutritional value. This is feeling very much like a photo project!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not yet still waiting for the current waxies to get to harvest point. Not long I reckon, probs in the next few days :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post a new one here when we get started. Just need to get a few more bits and bobs.
To cover all bases I was thinking comparing them on:
Comparative Rate of growth
Comparative activeness (not very scientific but worth noting if no one else has?)
Average adult length
Average adult weight

Then if I can find a college for a nutritional value test, that as well.

Anything you would add?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'll post a new one here when we get started. Just need to get a few more bits and bobs.
To cover all bases I was thinking comparing them on:
Comparative Rate of growth
Comparative activeness (not very scientific but worth noting if no one else has?)
Average adult length
Average adult weight

Then if I can find a college for a nutritional value test, that as well.

Anything you would add?
You got it all covered.. Lol.. The activeness is a good one.. There's probably a scientific word for it that I don't know... Yet.. Lol good work, can't wait for your results!! :-D

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.