Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other month we followed mad baboon's care sheet for breeding waxworms and it worked perfectly. It then got me wondering whether rearing them on a mix of manuka honey and wheatabix would have any effect either on the nutritional value of the waxies or their growth.
Having seen jars for about £15 I'm tempted to have a go however I'm interested to see whether anyone has tried it And whether they've noticed a difference?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the small jars of manuka were about £15 we might do a bit of an experiment. When we harvest the waxies we'll split our hold back culture. Half on normal and half on manuka and see what happens!

Reactions: tomcannon

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great idea. We were trying to think of a way to test the nutritional value. This is feeling very much like a photo project!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not yet still waiting for the current waxies to get to harvest point. Not long I reckon, probs in the next few days :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll post a new one here when we get started. Just need to get a few more bits and bobs.
To cover all bases I was thinking comparing them on:
Comparative Rate of growth
Comparative activeness (not very scientific but worth noting if no one else has?)
Average adult length
Average adult weight

Then if I can find a college for a nutritional value test, that as well.

Anything you would add?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.