hey guys and girls
quick question
does anyone have any free marine fish going for free
all of my hubbys fish have died because of the stupid hermit crab
he is totally devastated
so i want to try rebuild his tank for him but i have literally 23p haha
and i want to do it as a surprise for him :D

1,789 Posts
I'm going to post this on EVERY ad I see with new members asking for free stuff.

Its coming across to me that people simply want something, maybe just an "impulse buy" kinda thing.
"whatevers free, I'll have"

Sorry mate, but when you're new to the forum, people may be nicer to you, but they'll be so hesitant about selling you stuff, let alone giving stuff away to you.
(lets face it guys, its true)

The best thing you can do is research and save up.
For all you know you could get landed with animals that simply can't live together and you simply can't afford to look after/unable to look after.

: victory:

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
a great welcome from you!!

just because you either don't have surplus marine fish or are just nasty, it doesn't mean everybody else does/is :D :D

1,789 Posts
a great welcome from you!!

just because you either don't have surplus marine fish or are just nasty, it doesn't mean everybody else does/is :D :D
Me?

Not going to start an argument, but a lot of people on here have been scammed before, people are wary of new people because they don't know if they are legit or not.
And there has been an awful lot of new people asking for free things recently.

If you don't specify what it is exactly you want, for all you know, you could get something that simply isn't compatible.

I wasn't being nasty, I was simply telling the truth.

A post about this sort of thing should be in the classifieds anyway, not here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to post this on EVERY ad I see with new members asking for free stuff.

Its coming across to me that people simply want something, maybe just an "impulse buy" kinda thing.
"whatevers free, I'll have"

Sorry mate, but when you're new to the forum, people may be nicer to you, but they'll be so hesitant about selling you stuff, let alone giving stuff away to you.
(lets face it guys, its true)

The best thing you can do is research and save up.
For all you know you could get landed with animals that simply can't live together and you simply can't afford to look after/unable to look after.

not being funny mate but im looking because my partners fish may i add there was about 15 that died wasnt his fault
im was just simply asking as i (just me) cant afford much as im disabled
but my partner can
he is heartbroken just trying to do somthing nice
thats all

and im not a new memeber ive been on here for months now and this is the first time ive posted somthing like this

1,789 Posts
not being funny mate but im looking because my partners fish may i add there was about 15 that died wasnt his fault
but my partner can
thats all

and im not a new memeber ive been on here for months now and this is the first time ive posted somthing like this
As I said, the best place you can look is the classifieds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but my partner can
thats all

and we wouldnt have anything we couldnt afford
and we wouldnt have anything we cant look after all our animals and reptiles get very well looked after

·
Banned
9,422 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Can I possibly ask what your hermit crab has done to make 15 fish die please - what fish did you lose?

If you join places like Salty Box and Ultimate Reef, there are generally people offering bits in the free to good home sections BUT they will quiz you like mad most of the time if you are new there etc and occasionally give preferential treatment to long termers who they have built a trust and rapport with :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can I possibly ask what your hermit crab has done to make 15 fish die please - what fish did you lose?

If you join places like Salty Box and Ultimate Reef, there are generally people offering bits in the free to good home sections BUT they will quiz you like mad most of the time if you are new there etc and occasionally give preferential treatment to long termers who they have built a trust and rapport with :D
yes the hermit crab had knocked the power head off last night and there wasnt any oxygen in the water all night and obvs we were asleep so didnt know he got up this morning to find all but 1 fish dead

1 fox face
1 gobby
8 green chromis
1 cole tang
1 manderine
1 other tang i dont no
2 clown fish
thats the list of what we lost

my partner is on salty box

·
Registered
791 Posts
There is NO way that a powerhead being off for one night or so is going to kill all your fish! I ran lots of marine tanks and never even used powerheads in most!

Makes me want to question what size tank you have, how mature it was, how much liverock you have and what sort of filtration you have!?

Must have been a sodding great big hermit crab as well! A Hawaiian Red Leg maybe?

What are your water stats? (if you dont know them? why would you expect people to sell you their fish, let alone give them to you!?)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is NO way that a powerhead being off for one night or so is going to kill all your fish! I ran lots of marine tanks and never even used powerheads in most!

Makes me want to question what size tank you have, how mature it was, how much liverock you have and what sort of filtration you have!?

Must have been a sodding great big hermit crab as well! A Hawaiian Red Leg maybe?

What are your water stats? (if you dont know them? why would you expect people to sell you their fish, let alone give them to you!?)

we took a water test to pets at home and everything was fine
i dont know about fish but my partner does
and i aint gonna pretend to know becuase theres no point
and i was the oxygen that killed the fish

·
Registered
791 Posts
You just got stuffed by [email protected] if you didnt walk away knowing exactly what killed them. Were the filters off as well or just the powerhead.

If [email protected] didnt do test in front of you and give you the exact readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Salinity written down, then i would discredit what you were told. Get a test kit. If the filters didnt go off as well... it wasnt the oxgen as the filters cause water movement within the tank/surface which creates more oxygen. Therefore if it was just the powerhead... you were lied to. Mind you, you'd be far from being the first.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I definitely agree with Moogloo - there is no way on earth that the powerhead being off for 1 night would kill all of your fish. Can i ask though, had you used any reef putty to secure things in the daytime at all? Also wouldn't see a hermit scaling the glass of a tank ( most tanks are what say 18" tall - anything less than that is way to small for the fish you have in there even if it is 8 foot long IMO ) and removing a powerhead. Was it a sunsun one with suckers rather than magnet? They do tend to have a habit of falling off all by themselves but again, this for 1 night wouldn't cause what has happened.

For your water test, you want to see the results, full test as Moo stated including standard levels and perhaps calcium, PH and one to detect trace metals that may have gotten too high over time?

How do you top up your water levels? do you use premixed water or RO? xx

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
There is no way a hermit crab could kill that many fish in one night just knocking a power head off. Even if anyone would give you free fish witch I doubt unless it was a problem fish they could not sell they wont now knowing there is something badly wrong with your set up that 15 fish have died over night.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
like i keep sayin i have no idea about the fish world i was just tryingto do somthing nice for my partner
who has had his marine tank for 5 years
and before that he has had tropical tanks all his life

the test got done infront of us but because of my disability i cant remeber what they said
i cant even remember what i did on tuesday

im not gonna keep explaining myself
i honestly dont need to and i wont

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.