Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, asking everyone but mark thorpes advise would be beneficial

on the way home from my camping holiday, i drove past a slate mine and thought that we could use pieces to make a better basking spot for my BD and a bigger one if we were to buy a male.

i took some home and i've made a decent spot out of it, with a shaded area underneath. its all stable and doesn't tilt or anything

i'm going to pour boiling water to kill anything that might be on them b4 i put them in the viv and none of the pieces are very sharp to cause any damage

my question is, is slate okay? has any1 had any bad experiences with using slate - gets too hot under heat, gets to cold watever

would help a lot :)

thx

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I use slate hides in one of my vivs and providing its not really sharp it should be fine. Itr holds the heat nicely so would probably be perfect for a basking spot.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, last night i felt uncomfortable with the slate arrangement i had made at the basking area, seems too hot for her and i wouldn't want her to burn her stomach

so i shifted the slate arrangement to the other side of the viv and made it a bit higher. now has a HUGE area to rest under for shade and she can climb above it to :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Slate holds heat for a loooong time, so won't really cool down too well over night (but you can use this to your advantage!) and remember that it doesn't break or chip, it shatters into wafer thin, razor edged shards of thin rock. I'm not trying to put you off as I think it's good as substrate/hides as long as it's SECURED and with no sharp edges. Plus it looks cool :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh, i've lodged it into place so it won't collapse etc

but it does look very nice in a viv, very natural looking in a sort of way lol :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
CyberFae said:
Slate holds heat for a loooong time, so won't really cool down too well over night (but you can use this to your advantage!) and remember that it doesn't break or chip, it shatters into wafer thin, razor edged shards of thin rock. I'm not trying to put you off as I think it's good as substrate/hides as long as it's SECURED and with no sharp edges. Plus it looks cool :D
this is basiclly what i was about to write, and as ive been at work, and im half asleep i wont repeat it again ;)

one thing to add, to make sure you get the temps right, get a digital probe thermometer, to measure the basking temps, for a beardie a basking spot of 100 - 110F is fine, dont go any higher than 115F though..

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
goin over 115 wont hurt but isnt necesary.
slate can be very sharp. slap the back of ur hand against the sharpest points and if ur hand is ok it should be ok for the beardie, best to avoid any possible long drop towards an edge mind.
Also u wana do more thna poor boiling water over them to be honest... maybe give them a bleach followed by a good few rinses..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts