Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who breed Royals may find the following link an interesting read as I did (sad I know).

http://www.rcreptiles.com/articles/...-regius-coil-so-tightly-around-their-eggs.pdf

It basically shows the benefits of maternal brooding of ones eggs as opposed to using an incubator.

The results are very shocking and made me think of how many of you let your females brood maternally and whether they found it successful and do other use incubators for the ease of the hatching period?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Having just glazed over the article i noticed a lack of data on succesfull incubation percentages.

Artificial incubation has a higher sucess rate overall which is why it is preferred over maternal incubation.

The growth rate and hatch weight only really matters to wild animals which depend on those 2 factors to survive. In captivity even the smallest and weakest can go on to thrive.

So while the babies may be slightly smaller and grow slower etc there will be more of them when clutches are incubated using artificial media.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
as usual mom knows best

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
This was something I had wondered about when I got my girl. Snakes obviously know they have eggs, and when they are taken away, it must have an effect.

OT but can femal snakes, in particular RPs, lay 'phantom eggs', as in they have had no male contact?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
my female royal maternally incubated in 2005 (she was rested 2006)

she did fine, 5 eggs, 4 hatched.. nice babies etc etc i chose to let her have a go, and aimed for conditions similar to those for gtp maternal incubation

pics all over LF and my bucket account..

its bollocks they make bad mums.. as i got told loads.. you just need to let them be, and not disturb every day..

N

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Nerys said:
my female royal maternally incubated in 2005 (she was rested 2006)

she did fine, 5 eggs, 4 hatched.. nice babies etc etc i chose to let her have a go, and aimed for conditions similar to those for gtp maternal incubation

pics all over LF and my bucket account..

its bollocks they make bad mums.. as i got told loads.. you just need to let them be, and not disturb every day..

N
Why didnt the 5th hatch, was it a slug?

G

·
The reason that i take the eggs away from all my snakes and other breeders do as well is we have seen or heard of many reports where a clutch has gone bad for whatever reasons and this has then affected the female and in many cases killed her.It is something that used to happen a lot within the GTP community in the states from what i have read in the past but has also affected burms royals that i have heard of.

Maternal incubating can and does take a lot out of females as well so they need to be in absolute prestine condition if you are going to consider doing it matenally as the female will spend a much longer period going without food and using a lot more energy to keep incubation temps where they should be.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
5th? yus... slug..

have to say she breezed it.. kept the temps outside the box at 84, and the humidity outside it at 60-70%

she took it in her stride.. and weighs over 2 kilo now..

she came off the eggs a few times, to shed, to bathe, to have a mooch.. you just have to trust her, and wait till she gets back on them.. she came off and went back on just fine :)

N

1 - 9 of 9 Posts