Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, Im currently trying to breed my BRBs again. I put them together for a week and witnessed no action, then noticed the female went into shed, so I sepearted until she had shed then re-introduced them.

About 2 days later I witnessed a possible lock, female was lying across the back of the viv, slightly tilted, with her tail under the cork bark hide. I lifted the hide to find the male all wrapped round her lower end, but was in a position I couldnt get a good view of the action so to speak.

Then a few days later I noticed a large swelling toward the lower end of the female.

So, what I've been wondering is in relation to mating when does ovulation occur? Is it before or after mating? Or something else?

Last time I bred them I witnessed the mating (for like 3 hours!) but totally missed the ovulation so I have no past experiance to go on.

So can anyone help enlighten me?

Cheers

Crow

·
Registered
129 Posts
Brb

well ovulation occurs after mating..

unlike mammals reptiles need to make their eggs, and once she has ovulated the sperm can travel to the eggs.

hope this helps im not very good with; BRB's

·
Registered
990 Posts
Temp cooling before introducing the male helps the ovum to mature and the sperm to mature. If niether are mature at copulation then the offspring will be sub standard. Introduction of the male at low temps releases the ovum and the the female will swell quite considerably although in well fed BRB's it can be missed. The swelling will not go until she has given birth. You need to leave them paired during the swelling period until they lose interest. You can then seperate for a few days and reintroduce them.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...........anyone else got any help? :)

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumpage?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thanks for the info...........anyone else got any help? :)
Hi all,

Crowman, Scoffa nows what he his talking about with BRB'S.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

Crowman, Scoffa nows what he his talking about with BRB'S.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:
Yeah, thats cool, Im not debating that. Its just that its not exactly answered my question. All very relevant and fantastic information, just wanted to know how the two, mating and ovulation, relate :)

Like I said I bred them before, but missed the ovulation so wanted some more info :)

Cheers

·
Registered
990 Posts
Mating does tend to induce release of the ovum but if the sperm and ovum connect before they are mature there tends to be a higher percentage of slugs. Maturation of both sperm and ovum are temperature dependant. If your brumation temps are too high or too low you won't have good results. Also temps for gravid females must be above normal otherwise there will be a lot of still born - maybe there will be no live born.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent, thanks very much. Thats great info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts