Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the maximum breeding age for the more common snake species in the hobby? i've been keeping snakes for the past six years only so i have six year olds in my possession and wonder how long some of them can still be used as breeders. i am particularly curious about the following:
colombian BCI
KSB
royal
king
corn
blood
burms

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
i dont think there is a simple answer to this question,

ive seen recently a lot of people breeding corns that are CB14, i think thats wrong, ive been breeding colubrids for a long time and i wouldnt even think about breeding them before theyre at least 2.5-3 years old,

there is one person on here for sure that will tell you different,

again royals id go by the weight not necessarily the age, i know some males can be producing in the first year if theyre good feeders and have a nice weight on them, and a lot of people will say a female royal is good to go at 1.5k but id still rather wait until theyre atleast2k

dont know much about the others

·
Registered
767 Posts
I guess if you're asking about the maximum age ( oldest to breed ) - again, I don't think there's a definitive answer.

It all depends on the condition of the female, some snakes that have been heavily bred every year can be " burnt out " by much younger age than ones that haven't, any every snake and every species is different, too, so difficult to say.

Reactions: sauroid

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Short answer: The age when the snake dies.

Six years old is just getting into the prime of life for most snakes.

I hatched out a bullsnake female and gave it to a friend. She dropped fertile eggs (that hatched) at the age of nineteen (19).

Kings and corns have approximately the same record life span as bullsnakes, so they should be able to breed for the same length of time. Boas and pythons on your list have a longer life span than the colubrids on your list. Expect a somewhat longer breeding life span.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts