Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have got 2 beardies both around 3/4 months old, and i have decided to keep them together in a 3foot viv. the one i know is a female and i think the other is possibly male.

the thing is when i introduced them today they had abit of a scrap and the one suspected male wont stop following her and being a bully i guess you could say... there both about the same size and age

Anythink i am doing wrong? or is the just normal? thanks:2thumb:

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
he may be trying to show his dominance (sp) but he could also be trying to mate her (im not sure if at that age they get sexually mature, feels like ages since mine went into that stage)
you might have to seperate them. also 3 foot is a tad bit small for 2. whats the depth of the viv?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i would agree on a 3ft being to small for a pair
you may want somehting like a 4 x 2 x 2 minimum but realistically it is not really advised for a male and female to be housed together.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
yea a 3 foot viv is way to small for a pair of bearded dragons however i would not have them together if one is male and the other female
the female would not get any rest as the male woill be looking to mate with her all the time

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh i should have mentioned this is only going to be there home untill the 1st of september when i move house, i didnt think it would be a problem being opposite sexs at there age... well they seem ok at the moment after meeting again! i think he may have just been trying to show hes the boss:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I housed mine together at first but separated them when it turned out they were male and female. The male sometimes even bobs his head at her now when he spots her in her viv across the room! I think they do better separated, cos even if they don't fight outright there's still competition for food and space eg. under the basking lamp, and one will usually end up dominating and eating more than the other. Especially as they're male and female, so the male will be trying to mate with her all the time, and as they've already started fighting I think it would be a good idea to separate them asap :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts