Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

Finally had time to go over my new arrivals properly.

1st 24 hours the general rule i go by is they go into a viv and are not disturbed for any reason. Food is put in and thats it.... no stress on them at all.

Got a proper look at them today.

Both are WAY underweight.
Both have a few toe nips and tail nips.
These 2 things I can cope with if not for the third thing:

One has a major tremble in all its limbs when sitting still. This suggests to me very strongly that not only are they undernourished they ( or at least one of them) has Metabolic Bone Disease setting in

I know the suggested treatments..... up the clacium intake.... get vitamins in..... gutload livefood. .... get them eating as well and as soon as possible..... up the UV exposure

Also going to try them with a fuzzy tomorrow... theres decent calcium in that at least and the extra fat I need

Visit to the vet on Monday.

is there anything else anyone can think of?

Any help at this stage is appreciated

Andy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi mate,had same problem with harley the 2nd iggy i rescued,fella over at reptile village in kilkenny suggested feeding him cheese to increase the calcium intake,and seemed to work in fact they both love it and still eat it sometimes as a treat

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
junction said:
Hi mate,had same problem with harley the 2nd iggy i rescued,fella over at reptile village in kilkenny suggested feeding him cheese to increase the calcium intake,and seemed to work in fact they both love it and still eat it sometimes as a treat
CHEESE???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese contains animal protein which an iggy can't digest, so its doing more harm than good. I know u said 'as a treat', but too much will end up killing him :( If you need to up the calcium for him, mix some in with his normal food - better safe than sorry

·
Registered
275 Posts
eeji said:
junction said:
CHEESE???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheese contains animal protein which an iggy can't digest, so its doing more harm than good. I know u said 'as a treat', but too much will end up killing him :( If you need to up the calcium for him, mix some in with his normal food - better safe than sorry
no offence meant but i know i'm not only one who uses cheese,was not advised this by some pet shop that don't know an iggys arse from it's face.you may be right and i like to know what others think as dont want to harm them

·
Registered
275 Posts
We only gave it to Harley when he was really ill and now hes better jacs and harley get it as a very rare treat cos they like it.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
andyb5 said:
He's got a point with the animal protien bit.... this is not digested properly and can cause major problems with the kidneys. HOWEVER in saying that a little VERY occassionally shouldnt be TOO bad...gotta weigh the good effects against the bad in this case.
sorry, but i can't see any good effects if its to boost calcium - like i said theres safer ways to do it. As for giving it as a treat 'because he likes it', to me thats the same as saying 'i take heroin occaisionally because i like it'

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
right well i would surjest making sure the uv is at full ie brand new and making sure the poorly one can get right near it leave them for a week not a day as you might stress him my wd shaks sometimes but she hasnt got mbd just something she does lol weird old thing but good luck
manda xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts