Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
From my experience Lampropeltis pretty much all fit into 2 categories; flighty and pissy OR bitey and dickish

The only exceptions I have found are thayeri, alterna, pyromelana and mexicana

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmmm... perhaps a corn for the first one might be the way forward. Get used to handling a snake in general, then perhaps one day move up. Nothing’s happening imminently. I still have a horsefield that I’ll eventually want to find a more suitable home for first. As much as I’ve loved having a tort, I’ve just come to the conclusion that upsizing my viv just isn’t practical for me so I’ll likely be looking to find him a better home when restrictions are lifted a little further, and then make the necessary adjustments to my viv for a snake & go from there. I’ve got time to figure things out yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If what I’ve looked up is correct, so that means, Thayer's kingsnake, Gray-banded kingsnake, Arizona mountain kingsnake & Mexican kingsnake? And these in your experience British bred are more laid back? How interesting. I’ll look deeper into these. Thank you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes thats them. In my experience they're just more laid back, nothing to do with where they are bred.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes thats them. In my experience they're just more laid back, nothing to do with where they are bred.
I’ve just been looking at the Snakes n Adders video for Lampropeltis alterna. Really interesting & does seem to tick a number of boxes. Calm as anything while he’s holding him during the video too! The only downside I can see to those guys is they’re apparently nocturnal? Are any of the four you’ve suggested fully diurnal or at least crepuscular? I’m just trying to be as informed as possible at this stage of course.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I never really found them to be nocturnal to be honest. Most kingsnakes just seem to be active whenever they feel like it, same with corn snakes. I would say none of any of the snakes anyone has mentioned in this thread are specifically nocturnal OR diurnal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Fair enough. I can definitely live with that! I just wouldn’t particularly want to buy a relatively active snake & then miss all the fun! I’ve only had diurnal pets before too (a beardie & a Horsfield), so without wishing to sound selfish, it fits well into my schedule too. I wouldn’t especially fancy needing to feed at 4 in the morning with the lights off! I’ll look into the others too, but the grey bandeds are absolutely beautiful! Appear to reach both a good size and girth (something corns seem to tend to lack) and if your experience and the snakes & adders video is anything to go by, are laid back as anything! Would you say they’re fairly easy to find? I’ll leave you alone after this, I promise! Thanks so much. You’ve probably steered me into exactly the right direction for what’s right for me. Having to move my Horsfield on is a bummer, but knowing there are great options for me going forward cheers me up no end!

I never really found them to be nocturnal to be honest. Most kingsnakes just seem to be active whenever they feel like it, same with corn snakes. I would say none of any of the snakes anyone has mentioned in this thread are specifically nocturnal OR diurnal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Most snakes will just eat whenever they are offered it, day or night.

Yes I would say they are relatively easy to find, not the most common things but also not rare. Snake breeding is seasonal, its currently egg laying season, best time of year to search for baby snakes is July to October as that is when most are available. Easier to find things then.

·
Registered
12,889 Posts
Hmmm... perhaps a corn for the first one might be the way forward. Get used to handling a snake in general, then perhaps one day move up. Nothing’s happening imminently. I still have a horsefield that I’ll eventually want to find a more suitable home for first. As much as I’ve loved having a tort, I’ve just come to the conclusion that upsizing my viv just isn’t practical for me so I’ll likely be looking to find him a better home when restrictions are lifted a little further, and then make the necessary adjustments to my viv for a snake & go from there. I’ve got time to figure things out yet.
I have to say that a Corn snake is a fabulous starter snake ... 99% are calm and friendly ( 100% of mine have been ) , great feeders and active during the day , easily bought , one of the cheaper options stay a mango size say under 5’ ...plus a massive choice of colours ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have to say that a Corn snake is a fabulous starter snake ... 99% are calm and friendly ( 100% of mine have been ) , great feeders and active during the day , easily bought , one of the cheaper options stay a mango size say under 5’ ...plus a massive choice of colours ..

I’ve not entirely discounted corns. They’re obviously just very “everybody has them” and kings do seem to get a bit thicker bodied which I do like. But there is a Hell of a lot to be said for being able to let my 9 year old nephew handle my pet snake with complete confidence.

·
Registered
12,889 Posts
I’ve not entirely discounted corns. They’re obviously just very “everybody has them” and kings do seem to get a bit thicker bodied which I do like. But there is a Hell of a lot to be said for being able to let my 9 year old nephew handle my pet snake with complete confidence.
I’m not convinced Kings are that much thicker than Corns to be honest .. Corns are just more or less guaranteed to be calm and friendly... imho

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They’re definitely still in the thought process. Perhaps an impeccable temperament (individuals of course depending) should be more important to me than the whole “everyone has one” stigma. After all, there’s obviously a reason they’re popular! Being able to handle potential options beforehand would be hugely helpful. Hopefully society unlocking will make that easier soon. I live in Bury near Manchester & as far as I’m aware, there are two exotics shops near me, so we’ll see how that goes in the next few weeks. I’ve never owned a crepuscular animal before though. Does that, like seemingly many kingsnakes (and let’s face it, cats!) mean realistically that they basically please themselves and they’re up whenever and they sleep whenever? May be a daft question, but I’ve only owned diurnal animals before.

I’m not convinced Kings are that much thicker than Corns to be honest .. Corns are just more or less guaranteed to be calm and friendly... imho

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everyone has corns for a reason - they make for excellent pets. If you have the space for an adult, and you know you like colubrids, there is literally no negative thing I can say about them.

I would feel confident with a 9 year old handling my corn (even though he hates strangers - it's the only time I see him agitated). I would never let a 9 year old handle my MBK, even on his best-behaved days.

If you don't want something that's so samey-samey, there do exist some corn snake morphs that aren't seen as much. E.g. I saw some palmettos in the classifieds recently.

Or, an alternative possibility: see if there's any older corn snakes that need rehoming. That way, you don't have a 20 year commitment to what isn't your top preference. Just bear in mind that they slow down in old age, so would mean missing out on the active young years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
All great points. Particularly on the morph side of things. Perhaps I got too ahead of myself with thinking “but I’m not a newbie” when it comes to exotic pets, and I’m not. But I am new to snakes, and they’re a different kettle of fish to a beardie & a Horsfield! I presume my 4x2x2 would house a corn for life? Absolutely vital because I can’t upsize for a number of reasons.

Everyone has corns for a reason - they make for excellent pets. If you have the space for an adult, and you know you like colubrids, there is literally no negative thing I can say about them.

I would feel confident with a 9 year old handling my corn (even though he hates strangers - it's the only time I see him agitated). I would never let a 9 year old handle my MBK, even on his best-behaved days.

If you don't want something that's so samey-samey, there do exist some corn snake morphs that aren't seen as much. E.g. I saw some palmettos in the classifieds recently.

Or, an alternative possibility: see if there's any older corn snakes that need rehoming. That way, you don't have a 20 year commitment to what isn't your top preference. Just bear in mind that they slow down in old age, so would mean missing out on the active young years.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you want a black Thayeri that'll be like a mini MBK, Dragon Aquatics in Glasgow, Birmingham Pet & Reptile, and Prestige Corns are all breeding them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I’ll definitely keep that in mind, cheers. How easy is it to transport cold blooded animals domestically safely these days? I don’t drive so that’d be the way I guess.

If you want a black Thayeri that'll be like a mini MBK, Dragon Aquatics in Glasgow, Birmingham Pet & Reptile, and Prestige Corns are all breeding them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All great points. Particularly on the morph side of things. Perhaps I got too ahead of myself with thinking “but I’m not a newbie” when it comes to exotic pets, and I’m not. But I am new to snakes, and they’re a different kettle of fish to a beardie & a Horsfield! I presume my 4x2x2 would house a corn for life? Absolutely vital because I can’t upsize for a number of reasons.
I have very limited experience of other reptiles, so don't fully trust me here... But I reckon you'll find most typical snake species a doddle after your others.

Particularly something like a corn or a king - they are very resilient to mistakes. I made a lot of mistakes with my first snake (have majorly improved husbandry since), and I've still got a healthy ~12yo who's never had much issue.

4x2x2 is what I usually hear for an adult. But of course they vary in full-grown length. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with that size for the biggest of corn snakes as they are so active. For the vast majority of corn snakes, yes (imo).

·
Registered
35 Posts
(On resilience, obviously I'm not meaning that you don't need to bother with learning husbandry; I'm meaning that if you do go "oops" and fix something, you're unlikely to have caused serious harm. Like - I see about newbies giving lizards MBD so often, whereas corns & kings is more typically something like "bad shed - ok, needs humidity for next time").

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ll definitely keep that in mind, cheers. How easy is it to transport cold blooded animals domestically safely these days? I don’t drive so that’d be the way I guess.
I've used reptile couriers. I drive, but I'd rather pay someone else to do the journey if it's going to be hours and hours of M6 up to Cumbria or M1 south of Leicester. I used to drive those motorways a lot and I'm sick of the sight of them 😂

It costs about £50.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts