Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought id say...

I used to feel sick when opening a mealie tub as they stink!!

But i got 1kg of them through and put them in a base of Honey and Almond Oats Porridge by Quaker..Wow they smell amazing everytime i open the tub, i feel like eating some mealies :whistling2:haha!

Nav

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
lol yep muesli is a fab substrate for mealworms!! Makes them smell much much nicer!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol yep muesli is a fab substrate for mealworms!! Makes them smell much much nicer!
I will try some muesli too!

Absolutely destroying my mums cupboards lately haha! Oh well my Leo's come first :) lol.

Nav x

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
you ain't wrong mate they do smell lol, I use standard porridge oats at the moment

Id stick them in the shed but it gets too hot in there and I'm sure they would roast/smell even more
YUK!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
We use muesli for ours, they do still start to smell though once they've been in the tub for a week or so :sick:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you ain't wrong mate they do smell lol, I use standard porridge oats at the moment

Id stick them in the shed but it gets too hot in there and I'm sure they would roast/smell even more
YUK!
Haha! Try the ones I use it's amazing! Lol.

---

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use muesli for ours, they do still start to smell though once they've been in the tub for a week or so :sick:
Damn it, thought I found a cure Lol!

Although I have A LOT of porridge in there so hopefully it carries on smelling good for a while ;)

Nav

---

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,626 Posts
I keep my mealies in tubs without any lids. That way they don't smell at all. If ppls mealie tubs start smelling a bit rancid then it's usually because they are getting a bit too moist from the veg/fruit put in for gut-load.

Reactions: jillygirl

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I keep my mealies in tubs without any lids. That way they don't smell at all. If ppls mealie tubs start smelling a bit rancid then it's usually because they are getting a bit too moist from the veg/fruit put in for gut-load.
Yeah it is when the sandy stuff starts getting wet but it's not a manky veg smell it's more like ammonia.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine dont have lids :)

It's just that base they come in stinks like crap, so I had to change it as it made me want to be sick lol.

---

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Ammonia? Haha! Think you might need to invest in a gas mask Lee.

---

I've been tipping them into a sieve to get rid of the nasty sand so I can put them in a fresh box :lol2: Blooming live food is more hassle than the leos!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been tipping them into a sieve to get rid of the nasty sand so I can put them in a fresh box :lol2: Blooming live food is more hassle than the leos!
Haha, I think if I used my mums sieve I'd be dead lol!

Need to buy another one, took me about 2 hours to get every worm out from a 1kg sack as they were in newspaper!

---

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Haha, I think if I used my mums sieve I'd be dead lol!

Need to buy another one, took me about 2 hours to get every worm out from a 1kg sack as they were in newspaper!

---

Nav, what are you going to do with a kilo of mealies?? surely they'll turn to beetles before you use them all, or are you going to be breeding them? My wife found a mealie beetle in her shoe the other day, she was not amused :lol2:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nav, what are you going to do with a kilo of mealies?? surely they'll turn to beetles before you use them all, or are you going to be breeding them? My wife found a mealie beetle in her shoe the other day, she was not amused :lol2:
Yup, breeding them! Have about 60-70 little beetles right now lol.

Half are left out in the normal heat, other half are in the fridge so they grow slower...although my Mum doesn't know they are in the fridge yet, can't wait to see her reaction lol!

---

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yup, breeding them! Have about 60-70 little beetles right now lol.

Half are left out in the normal heat, other half are in the fridge so they grow slower...although my Mum doesn't know they are in the fridge yet, can't wait to see her reaction lol!

---

Would'nt like to be you when she goes to get some milk and see's them in there. My mum would have pitched a fit :lol2:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would'nt like to be you when she goes to get some milk and see's them in there. My mum would have pitched a fit :lol2:
Haha, luckily we have 2 fridges, and this ones pretty much empty bar a few bottles of Ale (not mine my dads lol). But I'm sure he won't take kindly to worms being in there either, oh well then I can tell them to get me a mini fridge :) lol!

---

·
Registered
90 Posts

:lol2: its funny how we think alike
Ive been looking for a week or so now for a sieve that will let the waste through but not the mealies

I also bought a plastic draw thingy so there was ventilation but it don't work lol I also put any greens,fruit etc in milk bottle top lids so it is easily removed and don't touch the oats

·
Registered
272 Posts
You think mealies stink?, try opening a bucket of gutloaded crickets that have been in the garage all day in a heat wave ..... vomit! LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.