Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I feed the beetles that mealworms turn into to my water dragons and beardies?? Cheers

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
personally i don't feed them the beetles and most of the time they won't even eat them!

the beetles are very high in chitin (even more than the larvae) and this can cause blockages in reps...also , not that i would know, they apparantly don't taste that nice!

oh one more thing with mealworms and the beetles they contain a very high proportion of phospherous about 1:15 (calcium:phospherous) which is not very nutritious..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Oh sure, they shouldnt be a staple or anything - but to be honest, Ive only seen the odd one every now and then thats managed to metamorphose :D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
they tend not too as are not usually kept correctly...i have some super mealworms that decided to create a whole colony in my cham tank though..but the beetles just don't get eaten!
don't think the odd one would hurt. :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They seem to thrive in my tegu viv as well - and the poor thing cant stand to be near them! I think they must know this :lol: To be fair though theres only been a couple - he usually snaffles them up too quickly as larvae for them to survive.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Word of advice too, don't let any of these little S**TS escape! Believe me i hate them with a vengance! I accidently dropped a tub one day and some got out. Within a couple of months i was infested!

I had to gut each room and treat the floor. I still find some lurking round today!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
worst ones for that are flour beetles...those things will infest cupboards! and they have a thing for cork bark too....

but i must say one good thing about mealworms they are damn good at eating poo...actually tried to start other colonies in some of my other vivs(for some reason it didn't work!) because they eat all waste from the chams...very handy.... :) (this was super mealworms though or zophobas morio for those technical types they don't infest things as they are very cannibilistic.)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hmm yeh none of our reps show anythingt buf fear when shown one...i dont like them either lol.
I did hear on this forum a while back that thery are actually very bad to feed but cannot source it.
I have very few turn into them with the morio but with normal mealworms it happens a lot...I feed the beardies and savvy the cacconned up thingys though...they love them...all mushy... keeps them from geting to turning into beetles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.