Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are mealworms safe for my barking gecko's?

I have been feeding crickets to my n.milli since i've had them and wondered if I could feed mealworms? I have kept leo's that ate alot of mealies but have heard stories of the hard chitin (exoskeleton) being a problem for even leo's to digest, hence why I have not fed them to my milli.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
They are fine as long as they can get to an area with the correct basking temp which enables them to digest the exoskeleton of the mealies.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, can anyone that feeds mealies to their Milli reply to clarify this please?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
my N.Milli (including hatchlings) happily eat mealworms and have had no problems digesting them at all : victory:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah hi SleepyDee, ok so I can feed mealies that's nice to know i'm sure they are sick of just crickets. Do you keep mealies in a bowl at all times, or just drop a few in every other evening?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Ah hi SleepyDee, ok so I can feed mealies that's nice to know i'm sure they are sick of just crickets. Do you keep mealies in a bowl at all times, or just drop a few in every other evening?
I use shallow dishes and put a few in at a time usually along with a couple of small dubia roaches and a small piece of apple/carrot as milli's tend to go more for moving/wriggling livefood then stationery ~ I use mealies as an extra bit of variety for them not as a sole diet

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
my milli eats locusts and mealworms as her staple diet.she wont touch any other livefood and ive tried them all.shes a very fussy little thing :whistling2:
ive had her 18 mths and shes never had any problems with the digestion side of eating mealies

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for replies people, guess i'll just try them on them. I had a few dubias that they seemed to love but that's the only other things they ever had since I had them myself. They love crickets tbh...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts