Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i have had my leo for two weeks now and tbh I am having more problems with the mealworms than i am having with the leslie which is none. First of all they were really smelly I mean so bad I had to open them outside and wait for the smell to die down but even then it was really bad they are being kept in a maggot box with air holes. So after that I posted on here and the reply was to get a sive and sive out the poop and the smell should die down i know they will still smell thats fine. i did some further reading and many people kept them on a substrate of oats so I put oats in now to 4 days ago a few started dying so I removed them then yesterday I opened it again they were all stuck to the sides as the oats had mushed up to be a sticky goo and alot have died so i sived and washed them by spraying them with water and then dried them with paper towel and i left them in their box with paper towel instead of oats. So after all that my question is does anyone know how to keep them alive and not soo smelly. Also when i get home and feed him/her the mealies have alot of condensation on them. and almost all are not moving at all not even towards the food.

·
Registered
39 Posts
keep them in oats but put the oats in DRY!! thats probably why your having problems.To give them water place in a bit of apple,carrot gratings etc preferably in a milk bottle lid.plus make sure the oats are cheap porridge oats.
i kept a culture of mealworms for 1 1/2 years like this,without any smell or changing of oats.Ive also kept leos for 7 years so don't hesitate to ask!:) plus recommend you give him/her crickets too!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi yh i think its because im not getting enough air flow and i put the oats in completely dry i think its the heat building up creating condensation thats why it went goey so does yours smell of going off food? mine does. and yes i am going to feed him/her crickets she is currently 6 weeks old and really small so i though she may not be able to handle it but i just bought a cricket box from a work mate and it has eggs in the sponge block

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,626 Posts
I have bred my own mealworms for years. Never had problems with smells. It sounds as if there is not enough ventilation in your container. I keep all of mine, including the breeding beetles, in open topped containers - no lids. Substrate goes in dry, small quantity of fruit / veg for moisture and gut-load. Any uneaten fruit / veg is removed next day.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I keep these & Morio's in same tub, mix with dry oats (not porridge !) use a high sided tub so the can't climb out, I don't bother with a lid & just put somewhere out of the way in my reptile room, every couple of days I throw some food in, ie any raw salad/veg that would have gone in the recycling bin, not rotten, just cucumber ends, carrot skin, bits of apple, mange toute etc

Job done, the mealies don't last for ever but the morio worms last for months like this (I buy a 1Kg bag every 3 months)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.