Reptile Forums banner

How many people use mealworms and how many use crickets?

• Mealworms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crickets

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just start feeding my leopard geckos on mealworms and they love them. And that got me wondering.
I know that in the past, before a large cricket suppliers, that meal worms where the staple diet of many reptiles. And I as so know that mealworms are high in chitin.
But, the question is, how many people use mealworms as leos staple diet and how many use crickets?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
its ok to feed leos mealworms as a secondary diet, but not a stable, they are too fatty and high in chittin, crickets are much healthier for them

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I prefer to feed a varied livefood diet to everything insect eating. :lol:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I have trouble getting anything to eat meal worms but they love their morio. They have crickets for the main food supply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been feeding crics and choose mealworm as the start to a varied diet. I plan to get some waxworm next time a get their food. I just throught I would ask because mealworms are a lot easyer to feed than the crics. :lol:

Sorry, morio?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i use cricks as the manin diet, supplemented with mealworms. occasionally small hoppers as well for a bit of variety

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My leos are only 3 to 4 months old, so I would think they are to small for super worms?

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi all

mealies are ok, but I wouldnt use them as a staple feed for the reasons above.

However, as an intro to a new food stuff they are fine.

How about maybe using them 2 times a week, crix 4 times and the other day altenate with hoppers, size 3 should be ok for your geckos, and waxies. Waxies are great for fatting up, but can become adictive !!

Of course, whatever you feed, they will need the supplements !

·
Registered
475 Posts
I feed crickets or locusts as staple diet and have a dish of mealworm in my geckos' vivs.

I picked up 5 baby albino giants on Thursday last week. The youngest two are supposed to be three months old but they only weigh 11g and they are not much bigger than hatchlings! :? ! have a 6 week old hatchling that eats crickets and locusts and she is bigger than these two! Therefore, personally I don't agree with feeding geckos a mealworm only diet. But obviously, each to their own. :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use crickets as a main food but occasionally feed meal worms (about every 5-6 weeks) I also feed locusts if I get a small one in the batch for my spider.
1.0 Royal Python
1.0 Common Boa
0.1 Cornsnake
1.0 Beardy
0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd choose crickets over mealworms but still feed both my leos and beardies mealworms for variation so kinda both but more crickets

1 - 17 of 17 Posts