Reptile Forums banner

How many people use mealworms and how many use crickets?

• Mealworms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crickets

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mealworms

784 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  nicky 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have just start feeding my leopard geckos on mealworms and they love them. And that got me wondering.
I know that in the past, before a large cricket suppliers, that meal worms where the staple diet of many reptiles. And I as so know that mealworms are high in chitin.
But, the question is, how many people use mealworms as leos staple diet and how many use crickets?

#6 ·
I have been feeding crics and choose mealworm as the start to a varied diet. I plan to get some waxworm next time a get their food. I just throught I would ask because mealworms are a lot easyer to feed than the crics. :lol:

Sorry, morio?

#10 ·
i use cricks as the manin diet, supplemented with mealworms. occasionally small hoppers as well for a bit of variety

#13 ·
Hi all

mealies are ok, but I wouldnt use them as a staple feed for the reasons above.

However, as an intro to a new food stuff they are fine.

How about maybe using them 2 times a week, crix 4 times and the other day altenate with hoppers, size 3 should be ok for your geckos, and waxies. Waxies are great for fatting up, but can become adictive !!

Of course, whatever you feed, they will need the supplements !

#14 ·
I feed crickets or locusts as staple diet and have a dish of mealworm in my geckos' vivs.

I picked up 5 baby albino giants on Thursday last week. The youngest two are supposed to be three months old but they only weigh 11g and they are not much bigger than hatchlings! :? ! have a 6 week old hatchling that eats crickets and locusts and she is bigger than these two! Therefore, personally I don't agree with feeding geckos a mealworm only diet. But obviously, each to their own. :)

#15 ·
I use crickets as a main food but occasionally feed meal worms (about every 5-6 weeks) I also feed locusts if I get a small one in the batch for my spider.
1.0 Royal Python
1.0 Common Boa
0.1 Cornsnake
1.0 Beardy
0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.